Talk

Advanced search

9 Weeks pregnant and feel soooo rough!

(19 Posts)
mum2phoebs Mon 07-Sep-09 20:35:46

I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby. In the last week my sickness has worsened. I'm feeling sick all day long, can't keep food down for long. Then I feel dizzy and light headed so know I need to eat but then am sick again! It's a viscious circle! I am also constantly tired......zzzzzzzzz

I've been off work today and not going in tomorrow as feel so awful, but know I can't keep being off sick because of this.

I've tried dry crackers, ginger biscuits, arrowroot biscuits but nothing is making me feel any better.

Does anyone have any ideas?? My first pregnancy was a breeze compared to this!

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 20:40:43

Poor you - I remember it well!!

One of the things that worked for me was sea-bands - you know, the travel sickness grey bracelet things. Don't know if it was psychological or not - and I don't care, it worked!

Other thing was fresh lemon and ginger tea. For a cupful, you need half a lemon and a 1" square of ginger root. Peel and crush the ginger, soak in boiling water for 10 mins or so, squeeze in the lemon juice (and pulp if you like it) and some honey or sugar if you need it (I didn't want sweet so didn't add any). For me, it worked a treat - I travelled round for 16 weeks with lemons and ginger in my bag, - in fact I used to chop them ahead of time and ask for hot water in a cafe .....

mum2phoebs Mon 07-Sep-09 20:45:29

Thank you for the suggestion, will get hold of some bands, lemons and ginger tomorrow!!

MummyToucan Mon 07-Sep-09 21:00:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

candyb Mon 07-Sep-09 22:15:45

things will get beter in a few more weeks even though it may feel like it will NEVER pass
once you start getting a defined bump it will make it all seem really and you will feel better. take care

xkyliex Tue 08-Sep-09 15:46:16

I was so worn out from about 6 weeks until just lately ... im now 11 weeks!! Thank god the tiredness isn't as bad and the feeling sick 24/7 is now just mornings.

mum2phoebs Wed 09-Sep-09 19:01:42

Well I saw my doc yesterday and she told me to increase my water intake (room temp) and also to stick to having plain carbs like potato, pasta, rice and eat smaller portions but eat every 3 hours.

Well have done this since yesterday lunchtime and touch wood I haven't been sick since. I feel better too, now I'm spending my time in the loo for different reasons! Weeing for Britain with all that water!

motherbeyond Wed 09-Sep-09 19:07:18

i'm the same...and started a new job today!could it be worse?trying to take in technical computer programs when all i can think is "i need to throw up!!!"

Carrotfly Wed 09-Sep-09 19:09:02

Its all good news though.

High levels of hormones ... think of it that way smile

mum2phoebs Wed 09-Sep-09 19:16:02

I know it's my own fault for saying last week "I'd be much happier if I could tell I was pregnant by having sickness etc"!!! It's such a long wait from finding out to having the scan. I had a miscarriage a few years ago and can't relax until I see the scan.

motherbeyond Thu 10-Sep-09 08:46:31

i'm sure you'll be fine,as i hope we all will be.the wait til the scan is a tense time.i'm sure more so if you've had bad news before.let's hope the sickness is a good sign...

superbean Thu 10-Sep-09 17:59:20

I know how you feel - 10 weeks and feel sick all day. Am currently living on cream crackers, toast and ice lollies. Yesterday I had an ok day only to get up in the night and throw up. This is my first, so just hoping it will get better next trimester. Hope you start to feel better soon.

mummeeee Thu 10-Sep-09 22:27:12

Am somewhere between 9 & 11 weeks (irregular cycle, so not sure of dates) and feel much worse than with my first pregnancy, so I completely sympathise.

Spoke to a midwife yesterday and she did talk to me about being anaemic. If the tiredness is really tough too (it is for me just now) then a trip to the GP might help. I'm not sure if they usually prescribe them this early on, but if your haemoglobin's low they may give you iron tablets.

I have the hypnotherapy CD for coping with morning sickness. It does seem to help...I am drinking lots of lemonade and hot lemon...which is kind of suggested in the CD. At least it's one thing I know won't make me feel queasy.

I remember with my first it all got better at 14 weeks, so I am trying to hang in there. I fnd the frustration of not being able to do anything the worst. Seriously, if there was a bag of cash at the end of the road I wouldn't get up and get it...I'm that shattered.

xx

Doozle Thu 10-Sep-09 22:31:02

Oh god I remember this well. I tried all the stuff, like the bands and so on, and nothing worked.

The only thing that helped was to just eat constantly, grazing all the time. I found once my stomach was empty the sickness was horrendous. So just had to eat little bits all the time.

BikeRunSki Thu 10-Sep-09 22:42:30

I was like you. I hardly ate and was hospitalised from 9-15 weeks. You really need to keep hydrated. I found that sucking ice lollies and ice cubes helped me keep hydrated enough after I was discharges for the final time.

motherbeyond Fri 11-Sep-09 07:46:09

iron tablets give you constipation and turn your poo black!..get spatone from boots.theyre little sachets of liquid you put in a glass of orange in the morning.don't drink it own it's own!it's bad enough in the orange!

Bexybear Fri 11-Sep-09 11:18:44

Its awful isnt it? I'm also 9 weeks and barely functioning. Cant make it in to work, getting DS to school feels like climbing everest (its a 5 minute walk!), stopped showering as cant stand up for long enough, find i have to go up stairs on all fours and my diet consists of cereal, bananas and pitta bread - though even getting those down is a struggle. Really looking forward to when i can look back on this and laugh at how tragic it all is!

Im on cyclizine which takes the edge off and means i get a bit of work done but the doses dont join up so still have bad patches.
More useful for me and similar to others on this thread is drinking lots of water, eating all the time (literally), and eating protein as it seems to keep the really bad nausea at bay for longer though this is tough as most savory food makes me want to vom. have just discovered peanut butter goes down OK!

hope something works for you... even small improvements make a huge difference

MumNWLondon Fri 11-Sep-09 18:28:03

try morningwell music - its not hypnotherapy as mentioned by another poster - just music that has been proved to help morning sickness... even better if you can listen to it at work. even if it helps a little bit still worth a go?

butterscotch Fri 11-Sep-09 18:41:56

my first pregnancy grazing worked for me I carried sunflower and pumpkin seeds in my handbag for a quick fix whereever I was ...

This time I can't face eating in the morning (Last pregnancy I had two breakfasts one at home and one at work blush.

This time it seems travelling in the car and bus or train sets me off which isn't good when I get a 45 min train to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now