Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

UCH or Queen Charlotte's?

(10 Posts)
Gangle Mon 07-Sep-09 17:17:27

I'm nearly 12 weeks pregnant with my second baby and wondering where to go to give birth. I asked for Queen Charlotte's as that's where I had DS last year and it was fab although is a real trek from where we live which meant getting to and from ante-natal appointments was a pain although I only had 3 in total so not that big a deal. I hear UCH is very good and is one of the hospitals in my "catchment" area and is close to both home and work so wondering if I should have asked to go there instead. May not even get in Queen Charlotte's so there's a chance I could end up in UCH anyway. Does anyone have any experiences of both and if so how to they compare?

Toppy Mon 07-Sep-09 18:04:47

Hi - I had DS at QC's last year and loved it. However am just about to have DD at C&W - chosen because it is much closer to home than QCs. I cannot tell you how useful this is when you already have a child - esp if you get sent for a short notice scan like happened to me today. Whilst I was happy to trek whilst I was childless it would be miserable doing the journey now. My sister gave birth twice at UCH and had excellent experience there both times.
Also just for the record I used to have to wait ages at QC's for antenatal appointments whilst I just walk straight into them at C&W. Funnily enough C&W has a poorer rep on these boards than QC's but so far I have preferrred C&W all the way. Whilst this does not help you weigh up UCH vs QC it suggest that QC's is not necessarily the best thing out there (though did love my free room they let me and DH stay in overnight as they had the space. C&W charge £800 for a private room !!!!!!!!!!)

sleepwhenidie Mon 07-Sep-09 18:19:34

Hi I had DS at QC in the birthing centre and it was fantastic (so much so that I did request it again with 2nd pg but got bounced to UCH as we had moved from area as you say you might be) but I have to say that the ante-natal care prior to that was pretty poor, in fact almost could have been disastrous at one point.

2nd baby, DD, was born at home under care of midwives from UCH and they were fantastic, I also thought the ante-natal care much better and more efficient with waiting times etc.

Of course they now have the new birthing centre open at UCH (the old one felt too much like a hospital to me after QCH and was one reason why I decided on home birth) and suspect it will be pretty impressive as the rest of the new bits of the place are. I have also heard nothing but good things from other people having babies at UCH. I am under their care again now for pg3 and have no concerns.

Gangle Mon 07-Sep-09 21:24:01

Thanks both. Quite persuaded by UCH now. I had an emergency section last time and the medical staff were amazing but ante natal care was otherwise ok, I think, as nothing to compare it to. Good point about it being even more difficult to travel now that I have DS. Also, last year at QC I wasn't offered the nuchal fold test as I'm under 35 whereas I believe UCH does offer it to all mums. Hoping that I get "bumped" to UCH so that my decision is made for me.

vaci Tue 07-Jun-11 18:48:59

Hey there,

I need to choose between both hospitals - QC and USHL (well also between St Mary's and C&W, but I have discarded those based on negative feedback), so I was hoping someone may have had more recent experiences at both Queen Charlotte's and UCHL? How is the ante-natal care? The actual birthing experience - do you get a choice - for instance if you want epidural? How are the midwives? Are they experienced? How is the neonatal care?

Any insights would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

reallygrumpy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:41:50

Hi, I'm having DC2 at QC in July and am regretting my choice of hospital already! I had DD1 there 3 years ago and received v good care but QC now seems ridiculously stretched, at my last appt I waited 2 1/2 hours to see a v stressed midwife who rushed through everything. I've also paid for additional private scans (carried out by a consultant) after the sonographer mis-recorded a measurement at my 20 week scan.

vaci Wed 08-Jun-11 11:47:44

Thanks reallygrumpy! I am starting to lean more towards UCHL to be honest... I wish you all the best in your pregnancy!!!

reallygrumpy Wed 08-Jun-11 11:50:33

I don't know anything about UCLH but friends of mine have been v happy with C&W in recent months so that might be worth considering. Good luck!

EldritchCleavage Wed 08-Jun-11 16:11:53

Agree QC is absolutely rammed. The people are as good as ever but it is so oversubscribed it's just not funny. My sonographer has been truly excellent, but I've waited 4+ hours to see midwife and doctor.

vaci Wed 08-Jun-11 21:21:04

Thanks ladies - this really helps! I wish you all the best - safe and easy birth!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: