Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

underactive thyroid and 16 weeks pregnent

(10 Posts)
yummyRuth Sun 06-Sep-09 20:29:27

hello, im 16 weeks pregnent and this will be my 3rd child, after my 2nd child i found out i had a underactive thyroid.
doctors have now upped my dose of thyroxine, but i would like to know why they have to keep an close eye on me.
thanks

QueenFee Sun 06-Sep-09 22:03:10

I have had an underactive thyroid for 15 years so through 3 pregnancies. I believe it is a growth hormone so quite important. I was also told if the balance is out you are unlikely to get pregnant. My ds also had to be tested for under and over active throid 2 weeks after birth. Sorry don't have any more info for you but bump for someone else.

yummyRuth Sun 06-Sep-09 22:06:41

thanks for your info. x

brightonbleach Sun 06-Sep-09 22:09:30

hi, I'm hypothyroid as well, normally on 150mcg but on 175 currently (32 weeks and counting). Its a growth hormone & it affects growth of everything, growth for every cell in your body is on a go-slow when your thyroid isn't working properly (but you should be fine on your meds). & right now you are producing all the thyroid hormones your growing baby needs as well (as he/she can't produce their own until they're born) so its important that your levels are kept in the normal range and doublechecked by your natal team every month or so. I was told if mine slipped below normal it could cause brain damage or low IQ! To be honest they were talking a huge slip which shouldnt happen if you being monitored. so try not to worry but make sure they test you regularly good luck.

yummyRuth Mon 07-Sep-09 01:02:26

thank you for that, that has helped me alot.

brightonbleach Mon 07-Sep-09 10:21:01

no worries look after yourself

underactivethyroidmum Mon 07-Sep-09 12:02:34

Hi yummyRuth

I too have an underactive thyroid and I'm 12 weeks pregnant

So far I've had a dating and nuchal scan and had a raft of bloods taken but haven't received any feedback re my thyroid levels

I'm feeling distinctly worried as I've had terrible morning/all day sickness for the last 7 weeks but my midwife doesn't seem in the slightest bit concerned so I'm off to mither my GP tomorrow with a whole page of questions !!

blondieminx Mon 07-Sep-09 14:05:05

Hi, I'm hypothyroid too... and currently 22 weeks. You should be given a thyroid function test at least every trimester and your TSH level should be between 0.4 - 2.0.

Another MNer posted about this last week and there's a link in the attached thread to the official NHS clinical guidelines for managing hypothyroidism in pregnancy

previous thread

look after yourself and good luck with your pregnancy

yummyRuth Tue 08-Sep-09 22:23:01

hi all and thank you for your help.

underactivethyroidmum, i have been the same as you sick all day really, and i started getting dizzy to low blood sugar as well. i feel that i am always moaning!
i just want to good though a good patch and start enjoying every moment.
thanks again x

MumNWLondon Fri 11-Sep-09 14:36:48

Hi I am 8 weeks pregnant with #3 and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid when TTC #1.

Its important to be carefully monitored during pregnancy because if your thyroid hormone levels get too low (ie HIGH TSH) then there can be development issues for the baby, - as a previous posted posted out brain damage/IQ issues. SHouldn't be a problem if its just a little on high side (my TSH got to 14 at 8 weeks in my first pregnancy and DD is very bright) but if it gets really out of control its a problem. My hospital recommends monthly blood tests - just had my first one at 8 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now