Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just coughed up blood when i was sick

(7 Posts)
jellybean86 Sun 06-Sep-09 18:26:06

Im 15 weeks pregnant, and just had some dinner which didnt settle too well and i was really sick. There was a quite a bit of blood in it?

Could this be because i was sick was badly or could it be something else?

Help me, worried lady here!

Thanks

xx

hoops997 Sun 06-Sep-09 18:29:16

I'm not a doctor but it could be when you were sick something could have scratched your throat on the way back up?

Have a look in the mirror......other than that if you are very worried phone your out of hours doctors....they are normally very good....good luck

Jacksmama Sun 06-Sep-09 18:34:30

If you've been vomiting quite violently, it can cause small tears in the oesophagus (food pipe) which bleed. Was it fresh red blood? Or older brownish blood?

Remember that it's difficult to estimate the actual amount of blood - a little looks like a LOT.

I don't think you'll be able to see far enough down to oesophagus to see any tearing in the mirror.

jellybean86 Sun 06-Sep-09 18:35:49

It was bright red. I cant see any tears on my throat!

Jacksmama Sun 06-Sep-09 18:40:25

Don't worry, you wouldn't be able to see any, they'd be farther down. Remember that food comes up in a big lump when you vomit (more than you'd normally swallow in one bite), and that stretches the oesophagus. So if you're really puking hard, it can cause small tears.

So, bright red blood streaking the food you threw up? (Sorry, I mean to be specific rather than disgusting.)

That can happen. Unless it really looks like a huge amount, or you keep vomiting blood only, it's usually not a concern. The tears heal if you stop vomiting.

(My background - used to be a nurse, then went on to another health care field.)

jellybean86 Sun 06-Sep-09 18:44:33

Ok, thanks very much!

Jacksmama Sun 06-Sep-09 18:54:27

Just one thing - you will have swallowed some of the fresh blood (sorry, yuck, I know) and it will break down in your stomach. If you happen to vomit again in the next few hours, you might see some more fresh blood but also swallowed broken-down older blood, which looks like coffee grounds. I just wanted to mention it because it can look really freaky and I didn't want you to get scared.

If you don't vomit again, any swallowed blood will make its way through the digestive tract and it can give you horrible black tarry poos. Again, just FYI so you don't worry.

This happened to my DS earlier this year. He bit his tongue quite badly and it bled and bled. Of course he swallowed some blood. It worked its way through and gave him a huge midnight-black tarry poo. That nappy happened to be DH's turn and he nearly fainted dead away, that's how scary and wrong it looked.

Do you have any GP/ midwife appointments coming up? Because you should tell them. Also so they can reassure you.

Of course <disclaimer> if it happens again and you really feel you're losing a lot of blood, ring your GP/ midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now