Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lifting in pregnancy!

(4 Posts)
macdoodle Sun 06-Sep-09 16:39:46

My Dsis is pregnan with her PFB
She is now about 13-14/40, and on 2 occasions her DH has expected her to help him lift heavy objects (lift a heavy flat pack wardrobe into a van, and a fully packed suitcase of clothes into the loft)!
On both occasions she has refused , leading him to sulk and call her a hypochondriac

I have explained to her (I am a GP) that the real danger is to HER (soft ligaments etc )and that the baby is pretty safe, but it seems sensible NOT to lift such heavy objects in pregnancy, and that he is being unreasonable, especially as he should be caring for her, pampering her and only wanting her and the baby to be safe and happy!

She wants some hard evidence to back her up (as I guess he is making her feel unreasonable for refusing to help) - but I cant seem to find any - help/advice anyone??

didsnbump Sun 06-Sep-09 19:02:56

I can say dont from experience. With my first pregnancy i caused problems with my back twice. The first time all i did was shift a large work printer from one place to another, i dint even lift it, and the second time i couldnt even figure out how i did it. Both times i had to be off work and the second my muscle went into spasm and had to take diazapan (i think it was) to help with it. Not what i wanted when pregnant!

This time round even though there are something u cant avoid im being far more carefull.

nickytwotimes Sun 06-Sep-09 19:11:29

So your word as a doctor is not good enough for him?!

What does he want in terms of 'hard evidence'? Personally I'd be inclined to tell him to feck off.

You could point him towards the overworked, oversubscribed obstetric physios who deal with back and pelvic problems or go online to 'Pelvic Partners' or (the Scottish version) 'PINS'. If he had to experience the agony just lifting small household objects is to many thousands of women, even years after pg, then he might think a little more carefully. I suffer chronic pain and sporadis disability due to not taking care of my joints during pregnency and will do so for the rest of my life. I am FAR from alone.

Ninni Sun 06-Sep-09 21:55:11

So, I didn't know this, the risk is not for the baby but me? I have a 4 and a 2 year old and lift them regularly and have been a bit worried. I feel I can cope with these lifts but have been worried itwould afect the baby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now