Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going Private? Any recommendations?

(6 Posts)
lumpasmelly Sun 06-Sep-09 16:34:51

hi all - I'm pregnant with baby number 3 - my other 2 births were overseen by a wonderful independent midwife, but due to some nasty complications that i experienced following my 2nd birth (stuck placenta - suspected accreta, loads of blood lost etc - all poorly managed by the hospital) I unfortunately don't think I will be able to rely on just a midwife, as I am now technically "high risk". Can anyone recommend a good OB who works in the Surrey area? I am happy to give birth in an NHS hospital again, as i think when things go wrong, you need to have all the back-up, but I would rather pay for someone to oversee the process and also help to manage my anxiety (as i am not the best of patients). Any suggestions?

dal21 Sun 06-Sep-09 19:32:06

Hi - congrats on your pregnancy!

Whereabouts in Surrey are you? I moved to Surrey 9 months ago and have decided to go back to where I had DS privately. Under a fantastic obs at Queen Charlotte. It is an hour away but considering DS had to be delivered via elective CS, and i am most likely doing elective again - I am hoping (touchwood) that i will have plenty of time getting there.

I had quizzed my GP to see if there was a similar level of care locally within an NHS hospital and I said not. My obs also has a few private patients from my neck of the woods - so a few of us are making the journey.

Whilst I was searching for options locally I found the following; although have no details/ personal recommendations about the service, but if you dont want an hours journey (maybe not the best for a 3rd labour), then maybe look into them? HTH.

www.mumandbump.co.uk/index.php

dal21 Sun 06-Sep-09 19:33:16

Rather my GP said not....blush. <Must preview more often before posting>

lumpasmelly Mon 07-Sep-09 12:35:58

i'm in Cobbham, so don't really want to trek into central london if I can help it...not with my two little little ones!!! That's a shame that there aren't really any alternatives in this neck of the woods!!!

helenlouisey Mon 07-Sep-09 14:37:43

Yep, I would second what dal21 says, the Queen Charlotte is fantastic, I had an hours drive to get there each time and a very complicated pregnancy so was up there a lot. Was worth the travel though as nothing locally (I live in Berkshire)

whampsteadgirl Mon 07-Sep-09 17:38:59

Not sure what the travel time would be for you, but the private wing at Chelsea & Westminster seems very nice as well. I started my current pregnancy there, under the care of Zoe Penn, who was fantastic. I'm at low risk, so have decided to switch onto NHS for budget reasons, but I was always very impressed with Miss Penn's knowledge and manner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now