We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't buy baby things

(24 Posts)
trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 15:30:09

I'm 33+1 today and went to Babies R Us yesterday. I honestly cannot bring myself to buy anything at all. It's partly that I have convinced myself that it's all going to go wrong, and also partly because I can't bear to look at the cute fluffy baby toys and things - the pathos drives me to tears.

I nearly cried when I saw their "Loved and Adored" range because I just pictured poor Baby P and unnamed neglected children wearing that stuff and the irony of it all.

This is weird, isn't it?

thumbwitch Sun 06-Sep-09 15:31:51

nope. it's hormones and not wanting to tempt fate.
Don't worry about it

trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 15:45:11

I am worried that DD will spend her first days wrapped in a towel and sleeping in a drawer as a result. All I have are some nappies (from my sister) and a pair of socks (from BIL).

MrsBadger Sun 06-Sep-09 15:55:03

nope, utterly normal

after the birth just send dh to a 24h tesco for one pack of vests, one of sleepsuits and one of nappies
it's all you'll need for about a week.

Habbibu Sun 06-Sep-09 15:57:19

I couldn't buy much at all for dd - her wee sister died at 21 weeks the year before, and so we had practically nothing. Called in at Tesco on the way home from hospital! They don't need much to start off with.

catinthehat2 Sun 06-Sep-09 16:05:01

Not weird - also towel and drawer solution would be fine as well if you can't get to Tesco !

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Sep-09 19:13:01

Ah bless you, it's just the hormones sweetheart.

People will bring things. Then you can go shopping once the baby is born.

Good luck with it all darling.

trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 21:18:38

I'm glad it's not as weird as I thought.

nickschick Sun 06-Sep-09 21:20:38

You will be ok smile bloody hormones grin.

Good Luck and post a birth announcement on here as soon as you can xx

trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 21:23:59

And I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Habbibu.

Northernlurker Sun 06-Sep-09 21:32:29

I had a friend who was like this for similar raesons to Habbibu - she had a babyshower at 38 weeks and everybody else bought stuff. Unfortunately she missed the party because she was in labour (and then safely delivered)

Could you bear to make a list and look at some things on line - John Lewis have a nice website. Then you can send your mum off to do the hard work when baby arrives but would still have chosen stuff.

MrsHappy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:40:12

I know what you mean. Today (33+3) I washed some of DD's clothes for the new baby and the sight of the little clothes made me terribly weepy. Perhaps this is a sign that this baby might come a bit sooner than 42 weeks <hopeful>.

With DD I couldn't buy anything until 36 weeks. My mum got all paranoid about us having nothing so bought a pram and kept it at her house for us. That might be a solution if you can't quite bring yourself to have the things at your place.

Oh, and my sister slept in a drawer and it didn't do her any harm!

trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 22:08:45

I was wondering how to keep MiL busy for a few days. Perhaps I will pack her off to the shops with a list.

I shouldn't be this paranoid really - it's taken over 2 years to get pg and we had a scare at 6 weeks, but it's nothing compared to what other people have been through. But you've all made me feel like less of a nutcase.

Habbibu Sun 06-Sep-09 22:11:44

Thanks, trellis - dd2 is very happy and healthy, and am currently 36 weeks pregnant. I haven't even got round to thinking about the bloody hospital bag yet. No nappies, no nothing!

sjbj Wed 09-Sep-09 14:43:26

what a relief to find this post!! I have been waiting 7 years to buy baby things and couldn't understand why I haven't bought out Mothercare!!! Last weekend we spent 2 1/2 hours in Kiddicare and came out with nothing. It must be a hormonal thing I tried to buy a cute hat in Boots and managed a pack of 3 bibs and a meal deal for the homeless chap outside!
My DH has now decided we ought to do something - ie decorate nursery and get some equipment as we only have 12 weeks to go! So with him prompting me we have more than 3 bibs and the bath thermometer for baby when it arrives !!!

notevenamousie Wed 09-Sep-09 14:51:25

Defnitely send your annoying well meaning relatives out, mine had lovely taste in prem girl baby sleepsuits and my mum went to choose me a pushchair. I think all I had in advance was a sling and some cotton wool. If you're mad, I was too.

itsalwaysthequietones Wed 09-Sep-09 15:00:13

completely understand how you're feeling. I was just like that before DD was born, just kept imagining how desolate I'd feel looking at all the tiny clothes and teddy bears if something were to go wrong. Also had a horrendous and very vivid nightmare about stillbirth quite late on which scared the living daylights out of me. Only buy stuff if you feel comfortable with it otherwise a bundle of sleepsuits bought on the day will be fine! Best of luck

pania Wed 09-Sep-09 15:09:41

I was just like that with ds1. I think it's quite common actually.

A list for your MIL sounds like a good idea and she will probably be thrilled to do it.

pania Wed 09-Sep-09 15:13:00

Meant to add I would have been the same with ds2 as well, but still had all ds1's stuff! Even then I didn't even start getting ds1's little baby things out for ds2 until I was about 37w.

slimyak Wed 09-Sep-09 16:19:38

I was the same. Had MMC and MC the year before DD was born and was terrified the buying of a sleepsuit would cause everything to go wrong. Thankfully the whole baby creation thing is slightly more complicated than that, but you can't help worrying (and randomly weeping).

Tell people you haven't got much stuff for your newby. In my over organised family/friends they go for buying 3 - 6 month stuff because you might have loads of 0 - 3 month. My sisters twins were very poorly dressed for the first 3 months wink.

KirstyAnn Wed 09-Sep-09 20:19:22

nope not weird at all. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow with my first and despite all the constant enquiries its been really hard buying anything for the baby.

John Lewis do a list and they will deliver it when the baby is born if you dont like to have it in the house or want to see it before the baby is born.

Dragonfly73 Thu 10-Sep-09 11:24:03

i am so glad i found this thread. I am 11 weeks with our first (after three losses). I went into Mamas and Papas on the weekend and started bawling at the sight of the cots and lovely bedding sets. DH and my step daughter thought i was completely insane. I thought i was too. Good to know that there is at least 29 weeks of crazy left to go!

CMOTdibbler Thu 10-Sep-09 11:33:46

When DS was born, we had nappies, a cot and changer in boxes, and had ordered (but not recieved)a car seat and pram.

DH went straight out after DS was born and bought vests/sleepsuits/nursing bras/prem nappies/breast pads etc etc in Mothercare (the ladies in there absolutely loved helping him). The car seat turned up the day before DS and I were discharged, and DH had to get the shop to lend us a pram to use until ours turned up. Friends came round and put the cot etc together, and my colleague got their moses basket out of their loft and brought it round

They sell sleepsuits and nappies in hospital shops normally, so theres no huge panic

KT101 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:12:38

Completely understand - couldn't even bring myself to look at baby stuff until recently and deliberately avoided children departments etc. My OCD or nesting urge has over-ridden this now and I have an overwhelming urge to have everything ready for her arrival... Just make sure you have the car seat (you can always store it somewhere else) otherwise you might struggle to bring the LO home - everything else can be bought by your DH or friends and family after the LO has arrived safely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now