Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant - unplanned - ALCOHOL - help?

(19 Posts)
charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 09:37:48

Been feeling a bit fat of late... haven't had a period for almost ten weeks BUT tested a few weeks ago (several times) and NOT pg. Thought I'd try a test this morning and it's positive. Why wouldn't it show up a few weeks earlier?

AM SO WORRIED as have consumed much alcohol of late, been very stressed and depressed....

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 10:05:02

AND I'm taking fluoxetine.
Bloody marvellous.

Blackduck Sat 05-Sep-09 10:11:22

On the alchol front I know many people (including myself) who had consumed loads not realising they were pregnant and went on to have perfectly healthy babies.....

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 10:14:55

Thank you. I am driving myself a little nuts here.

PeasPlease Sat 05-Sep-09 10:17:42

Congratulations charidee (I hope that's the right thing to say to you!). I reckon a lot of women consume too much alcohol during early pregnancy without knowing - I certainly did and wouldn't worry about it.

Also, maybe others know more about it than me but I don't think that prozac is too much of a prob in pregnancy, especially if you can stop taking it. I was taking some horrible medication until I found out I was pregnant but have resolved to try and be relaxed about it as there is nowt I can do.

I realise that may be easier said than done though.

Neeko Sat 05-Sep-09 10:19:45

My friend got so drunk one night that she tripped and landed heavily on her stomach. When the hangover left two days later shock she realised she was late and got a BFP. "Baby" is now a healthy 6 year old.
Try to relax and make an appt for doctor at beginning of the week. Start on folic acid today and breathe out. Oh, and congrats on your BFP smile

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 10:22:25

Aw thanks guys. I'm gonna cry.

Crap. that reminds me, I got HORRIBLY drunk at a wedding recently and still have the scabs from the stagger home.*

Folic. Yes, must do that immediately.

Prozac. I'll just come off it and pray. Hard.

*This thread isn't making me look too good is it?

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 10:23:58

Oh Peas, I guess you are pg now by your post? Then I shall also offer congratulations smile

By goodness I've been tired of late.

shootfromthehip Sat 05-Sep-09 10:25:18

I drank and smoked heavily (unwittingly- was on the pill but got pregnant by accident) in the first 9 weeks of my pregnancy with DD. She too is now a bright, healthy, happy 5 yr old. I just gave up when I found out and she was 9lbs too [ouch emoticon]

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 10:29:24

shoot - your 5yr old was obv meant to be defying all odds of contraception, alcohol and cigarettes! Hope I am as fortunate.

(Have an 8lb 12oz now 3yr old boy so I get the 'ouch' part too!)

shootfromthehip Sat 05-Sep-09 10:53:01

Charidee- she is a bloody stubborn wee monkey- it's from her Dad wink. Big babies eh! To add insult to injury I went through all thelabour and the pushing, she crowned and got stuck- after lots of intervention I then had an EMCS. So I was very sore for a longgggg time!

pamelat Sat 05-Sep-09 12:16:56

Congratulations and please try not to worry.

With DD1 I had my hen night and got very drunk, drinking nasty things like sambuca. It was only 3 weeks later on honeymoon that I realised I had been pregnant then. DD is fine.

I am now 4 weeks pregnant (not told anyone in real life, other than DH, yet). We have been trying so taken countless tests.

last weekend we were going to a wedding so I took another test; negative. I proceeded to drink lots of wine and fizz (although not stupidly like on my hen doo blush but enough). Took test on thus, am pregnant!

I have since discovered that some pregnancy tests a lot more sensitive than others. Digital ones apparently rubbish. ASDA's own worked for me when digital one still said no.

Bellsa Sat 05-Sep-09 12:21:47

Congratulations! I didn't realise I was pregnant til about 16 weeks (had neg pregnancy test too!). I was in Australia, drinking almost every night, diving, and generally doing everything you shouldn't. Ds is fine, and was a HUGE baby. Hope everything goes ok for you.

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 13:59:48

Thanks guys.
Bellsa - that's interesting because calculating from my last period, I'd be TEN WEEKS which makes me feel so much worse about any damage over such a period of time. I originally tested after two or three weeks missing a period, then the following week. Both negative... if only it had shown up then, I would have less weeks of drinking and generally being an idiot.

Sigh.

charidee Sat 05-Sep-09 14:01:23

Oh - congratulations Pamelat, have a good healthy pg. Are you on the pg boards? I used to post on MN (different name) after ds (now nearly 4) was born but haven't visited for the last year because I found I was getting too distracted by it! Here I am again though, in my time of need...

PennyScotia Sat 05-Sep-09 16:38:35

Charidee - I was on fluoxetine when I found out I was pregnant and my doctor recommended coming off it very gradually. If you come off it too quickly you can have a really bad anxiety reaction.

The recommendation is that you reduce it gradually and try to come off it before you have the baby - if you don't, there's a chance your baby might have withdrawals.

I would speak to your GP and try not to worry - there's no evidence that taking prozac during early pregnancy will affect your baby's development or risk of miscarriage. For some women the benefits of taking the medication outweigh any other risks.

Best of luck with it all x

PeasPlease Sat 05-Sep-09 17:13:38

Yeah charidee I'm 9 weeks and so bloody tired. I'm on my own in the house today and have hardly moved from bed. I'm quite disgusted with myself actually!

Bellsa, weren't you tired and sick during all the time you were pregnant but didn't know?

Bellsa Sat 05-Sep-09 17:55:14

Not at all sick, bit tired, but not more than usual. Think I was just really lucky! Actually took a test because it was obligatory before getting a Dr's cert to do my diving qualification, and it was negative, so I had no idea. Was lucky enough to breeze through the pregnancy physically. Emotionally, given that it was totally unplanned and I was in another country it was not so good! Ds rocks, though!

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 17:59:28

I got horrifically drunk on several occasions before I knew I was pregnant with my 2 children (think I was horrifically drunk when i conceived number two, actually). Ironically, it was the time I was teetotal that I miscarried sad.

That said, I know it's a worry, but honestly - the likelihood is that everything is fine.

Re: the anti-Ds. I'm fairly sure Prozac isn't contra-indictaed for pregnant woman, but do go and have a heart-to-heart with your doc - they will have heard it all before and be able to set you straight and hopefully put your mind at rest.

Congrats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now