Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IMHO pregnant women should be able to give up work when THEY are ready and fanny about as they see fit (-:

(10 Posts)
mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 13:38:57

Some of you will know how crap ive felt through this pregnancy, with oodles of stressful things, plus hard job, loads of sick time off, bp problems, anaemia problems, early contractions etc etc.

I finished work last week at 29 weeks, and was down, hated my body, my pregnancy, just wanted it to be over.

So I gavce myself a kick up the arse with the help of some wonderful Mnetters and have in the last two weeks:

Booked a whole spa day by myself smile
Eaten much better
Made dates with friends for coffees etc
Made an effort to smile much more
Joined an antenatal yoga class (which was fab)
Started swimming (again fab to be weightless for half hour)
Started pilates again (fab teacher who gives me lots of alternatives)

And do you know what, I feel soooo much better, yes I still hate my huge body, and cant wait to meet my baby, but the 10 weeks ahead now seem full of lovely relaxing things that I want to do, that I could do if I was working.

So IMHO I think we should all give up when we're ready, and the government should pay us to fanny around and enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy without getting tired and stressed before the hard work even starts smile

NewbeeMummy Fri 04-Sep-09 16:33:58

Counldn't agree more - have 3 weeks left at work, will only be stopping just before I'm 37 weeks and I feel like you did before you had some time to yourself.

Would love to join an antenatal class, but they all run during the day, and I'm currently working from 8am - 6pm, so there is no way I can attend a class that starts at 10 or 11.

Getting so frustrated, and convinced it's starting to affect my work. But can't stop any earlier as I just can't afford to, we really have more important things to worry about in these last months.

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:36:42

I know the feeling newbee, my mat leave isnt paid (only SMP) and I have saved like buggery just so I can manage until baby is 7 months.
My yoga class is at night, could you do something like that, although I know you probably dont feel like it after being in work all day.
Its so hard, we should all go back to the days of women only working up to 7 months and no more.
Being pg is bloody hard work smile
Grin and bear it through the last 3 weeks then pamper, pamper, pamper for those last 3 grin

TheCrackFox Fri 04-Sep-09 16:37:02

Enjoy the time to yourself.

I hated being pregnant and I found doing stuff I enjoy took my mind of it.

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:55:09

Exactly, i felt like I was going to fester on here for the next 10 weeks, but now its nice to get out and do stuff and then come back and have a few hours on MN too

blondieminx Fri 04-Sep-09 16:55:53

Hear hear! Newbee your employer has to give you time off to attend antenatal classes - govt regulations say this is the case "if advised by your doctor or midwife", and I'm sure either would be happy to do you a quick note if you needed it. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 17:01:50

oh yes forgot about that, and things like relaxation classes too, so you could do a daytime class and have paid time off for it smile
good suggestion blondie

Jacksmama Fri 04-Sep-09 17:04:37

Totally agree with you. I worked almost full-time as a chiropractor until 11 days before DS was born. I was so tired. How stupid was that.

If I were Queen of the Universe, things would be different for mothers, I tell you!!

GrapefruitMoon Fri 04-Sep-09 17:14:35

I totally agree - I was lucky to be able to finish work at around 30 weeks with dc2 and I am convinced that that's what led to me having a much easier birth - I was rested, fitter because I had time to do some (gentle) exercise, felt less stressed (first time around I started a promotion at work 3 weeks before I went on mat leave!) and felt more organised.

This was a while back but I'm pretty sure that I read at that time that the RCM recommended women giving up work at 29-30 weeks if they could

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 17:25:53

When I got pg with no.3 (this time) I was determined to work up to 38 weeks just for the money.
But its been so hard and stopping at 29 weeks has been the best decision Ive ever made.
Hopefully grapefruit I will be rested and stress free like you by the time birth comes round smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now