Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Back exercises during pregnancy

(11 Posts)
bubblesincambridge Thu 03-Sep-09 11:35:15

Anyone know any good exercises that can be done at home to strenghthen the back? I'm 22 weeks and just starting to get some back ache.

LylaB Thu 03-Sep-09 12:14:33

Hi, here are a couple things I suggest to my ladies:

Firstly, start now correcting your posture. Stand, tail tucked in, back straight, tummy (if you can in) and shoulders back. Best way to start practicing is against a wall.

Not sure if these exercise will make sense but you can try the following:
cat stretches: position yourself on all fours, on the inhale, arch yor back like a cat, head down and then exhale going back to neutral position,

pelvic tilts: lie flat on the floor, legs bent at knees - on the exhale lift your pelvis a couple of inches off the floor, hold and release,

spinal twists - you can do this either seated or lying down - cross one leg over the other and turn in the opposite direction.

I would also suggest a swiss ball - it's great for easing lower back ache and building core strength.

Oh, and remember your pelvis floor exercises!!

Hope these help you.
smile

BlueChampagne Thu 03-Sep-09 13:23:06

Have you tried an antenatal yoga class? Great not only for back exercises but also for getting to know other local people about to start families. Have a look at birthlight.com/public/findaclass/.

bubblesincambridge Thu 03-Sep-09 15:32:35

Cool, thanks LylaB these sound good - keep them coming!

I really don't have time to go to classes at the mo, though as I commute to London every day.

dinkystinky Thu 03-Sep-09 15:38:07

Worth looking out a pre-natal pilates dvd in your library or from amazon - full of back strengthening and leg strengthening exercises and good on the pelvic floor ones too. Otherwise an antenatal yoga class at the weekends may be a nice way of relieving the pains caused by the weeklong commute.

blondieminx Thu 03-Sep-09 15:44:58

Bubbles I'm a commuter too and have been looking for an antenatal yoga or aquanatal class in the evening or weekend and there's nothing near me at all (village near Colchester in Essex). You'd think with the well publicised increase in the birth rate that health centres would be offering us pg ladies lots of classes! <<fed up emoticon>>

LylaB Thu 03-Sep-09 16:07:13

I agree with dinky, get a cheap prenatal pilates or yoga dvd to help you out ... all the breathing will keep you in good shape ahead of the big day grin

Please keep me posted on how you get on.

xx

BlueChampagne Thu 03-Sep-09 16:45:21

My yoga class is 7.30-9pm - in Cambridge, a mile or so from the station.

bubblesincambridge Fri 04-Sep-09 08:56:17

Oh, whereabouts and on what day Blue Champagne?? I get off at Whittlesford as live a few miles outside. Is there parking?? How do I find out more?

BlueChampagne Fri 04-Sep-09 12:33:38

If you go to the website link I gave you earlier, put Cambridge in the search and tick pregnancy yoga. Look for Anna Youngs. It's at a primary school in Cambridge so there is parking. See you there?

bubblesincambridge Fri 04-Sep-09 14:27:09

Cool! Thanks Blue Champagne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now