Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going back to work pregnant, or getting pregnant very soon after starting back...

(7 Posts)
Boobz Thu 03-Sep-09 10:58:11

... I think I'm right in thinking that there is nothing my employer can do about it - they just have to pay me the same maternity leave pay as they have just done for this baby and sort out maternity cover again - is that right?

I have just taken 7 months off to have my baby (1 month annual leave and 6 months maternity leave, all fully paid 100%)... I start back at work in 3 weeks - if I go back pregnant (or get pregnant very quickly after starting back), do I just work until I am 36 weeks again and then they have to give me 7 months off again, fully paid?

(Am posting this in employment topic as well - but think this topic is a bit busier during the day)..

Thanks.

BarbieLovesKen Thu 03-Sep-09 11:54:39

I know over here (Ireland) in some companies, you have to be back in work one year before going on Maternity Leave again.

fleximum Thu 03-Sep-09 12:01:43

I returned to work after maternity leave already pregnant again (which went down as well as you might imagine). I'm not sure if it is universal, but in the NHS being on maternity leave counts as service, so you should still get your full maternity entitlements again.

SouthernMeerkat Thu 03-Sep-09 12:23:01

I did this - went back to work after my first (6 months OML) and then was pregnant 8 weeks later. I got the full entitlement second time round.

mrswee Thu 03-Sep-09 12:29:39

As far as I can work out, while you are on Maternity leave in the UK you are still counted as working. That is according to the tax man as well as your employer.

There for you are entitled to the same maternity leave again. The only thing you have to watch out for is being back at work during the weeks they count your average maternity pay from. I think my weeks were 17-25 this time, not sure if this is the same in every company.

Please correct me if I am wrong though.. as I may be planning my next pregnancy around this theory!!

Northernlurker Thu 03-Sep-09 12:33:14

YOu will certainly be entitled to leave but it sounds like you are getting an enhanced package from your employer and they may put other conditions on that so you'll need to check with your employer's policy.

Boobz Fri 04-Sep-09 17:10:44

Thanks everyone - will check the small print but it's a complicated situation as it's an Irish company and they have done it differently because I am based in the UK so will have to wait and see how it pans out.

Now just need to get pregnant again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now