Talk

Advanced search

Over anxious?????? 4 weeks pregnant

(17 Posts)
3k Wed 01-Jun-05 11:53:50

I have just discovered I am 4 weeks pregnant after my first IVF cycle. I am getting very strange twinges in my left side and period type pain - is this normal?? No bleeding but I have to keep checking. It has taken me 3 years to get pregnant and I am very frightened that something bad will happen. Did anyone else feel like this? I have a six week scan on 13th June to see if everything is ok and how many there are. We had two embryos implanted so could be twins.

ghosty Wed 01-Jun-05 11:58:25

3K ... congratulations!
I had major period cramps from week 5 to probably week 9 or 10 when I was pregnant with DS. I remember always checking to see if I was bleeding too. It was a terribly anxious time so I know how you feel.
I didn't have IVF but I am sure that is making you feel even more anxious ...
If you are not bleeding that is an excellent sign!
HTH!

edodgy Wed 01-Jun-05 12:00:54

Hi im 14 weeks pregnant now and had the same twinges you are getting early on as well as period type pain, i kept thinking i was going to come on. This is all perfectly normal and it is just your ligaments stretching, if you have severe pain then go to your epu and get checked out . Everything you've described sounds normal to me. Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy. xx

Lizzylou Wed 01-Jun-05 12:01:25

Congratulations 3k! How Exciting!
I had the exact same pains as this and so did a lot of my friends...altho didn't have IVF...so I would say alls OK.
Try to just relax and take good care of you and your baby/ies !

3k Wed 01-Jun-05 12:03:02

Thanks for advice ghosty, early pregnancy is not as exciting as it sounds!! Did you get strange sharpish twinges too? I think every little thing is making me nervous at the moment, I have times when I feel ok and excited about everything then scared and anxious when I get twinges and pains!!

AnotherHelen Wed 01-Jun-05 12:16:16

Huge congratulations 3k!!! early pregnancy is sooo stressful its great to be pregnant but its still a very anxious time! i never had ivf either but this is my third pregnancy and in all 3 i had terrible aches and pains in my sides and lower tummy - with this baby i had to have an early scan as i was in so much pain i thought something must be terribly wrong, but baby is fine and im now 24 weeks so it doesnt always mean soemthing bad! i really really hope you have a great pregnancy 3k congratulations again! xxxx

3k Wed 01-Jun-05 12:30:08

Thanks for all your advice, already feeling much better. It's great to speak to other people that are going through it at the same time.

Good luck to all and here's to lots of healthy babies!!

18mumtobe Wed 01-Jun-05 12:50:26

sorry don't really know about your question but i just wanted to say congratulations and im sure everythings fine, its normal to be worried and im sure at your scan your mind will be put at ease.

hotmama1 Wed 01-Jun-05 13:02:34

3k - I'm 5 weeks pregnant - come and join us on the due in Jan 06 thread.

I have had the achey pain thing on the left side and I remembered I had the same thing with dd - think it is the ligaments and the uterus stretching - even at this early stage.

Really hope everything goes O.K for you.

Rachey1969 Wed 01-Jun-05 14:00:11

Twinges and pains really normal - I think it is ligaments stretching - I'm about 9 wks and have funny twinges in my bladder - I think it's the uterus stretching and pushing on it, everything has to move around.

Congratulations! I know you'll never stop worrying, good luck for the June scan.

Tabs Wed 01-Jun-05 19:28:08

Congratulations 3K! I'm just a few days ahead of you having tried to conceive for 4 years (inc 1 m/c last year), so I can understand your worries (although I didn't have IVF).

Why not come and join us on the 'due in Feb 06 antenatal thread, here

To add, both your twinges and your concern sound perfectly normal to me.

Elly1801 Tue 07-Jun-05 08:13:15

Hi everyone,

Reassuring to read. Hope your scan goes well on 13th, 3K.

Has anyone had pains on their right-side, really low down to the right of their ? I'm getting little twinges down there and not being hot on biology, am not sure what that could be or what organs live down there? : )

Elly

shhhh Tue 07-Jun-05 17:20:30

3K Congratulations...!!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel, dh & I had been trying for a bay for the last 4 years and after 2 mc we thought we would never hold a baby of our own.....Well we have just had a new addition to our family, Freya Isabella was born 3 weeks ago and we are sooooo happy.

Believe me dh & I were exactly the same as you and in fact we had 2 weekly scan from 6 weeks till about 21 weeks. There was never a moment that I didn't think things would go wrong and from knowing about baby (like you) at 4 weeks until I held my daughter in my arms that fear was always with me. All I can advise you is to take things easy, relax (I know how hard this is) and to look after yourself. From what you are saying it sounds like the twinges could be "baby" growing etc and I know you sound as though you want a scan now but I would wait until 6 weeks as there really isn't anything that can be seen now (heartbeat isn't usually until 5-6 weeks)and I don't think anything can be done if there are problems (don't want to sound to negative). I know the next 2 weeks wait will seem like a life time but you have to relax and be patient. Remember that things happen for a reason and most of all you MUST think positive.
Our consultnat told us this and each visit she reminded us of this and we can't thank her enough. I agree I did most of the hard work but it was with her advice and guidence that we are where we are.

Remember that you will be anxious about everything over the next 36+ weeks and even now Freya is here we are soooo anxious but it is and for you will be worth it.

I am thinking of you and wish you all the luck in the world. You will get there in the end.
xx

Thomcat Tue 07-Jun-05 17:22:03

Oh hon' congratulations.
I had horrid pulling / crampy pains for the fist 6 weeks or so, got less 9am 11 weeks now) but still hurts when i stand up after sitting down for a while.

shhhh Tue 07-Jun-05 17:24:41

Oh yeah forgot to say: I also felt as though I was going to "come on". The thought of going to the toilet filled me with dread but I now know it was my little girl doing her best to grown strong. Like others have said you body goes through all sorts of aches and pains throughout the pregnancy all which are perfectly normal. If you don't feel they are (only you know best) then you need to speak to your doctor or midwife.
HTH. Goodluck.

marite Fri 10-Jun-05 19:52:15

Hi 3k, I completely share your concerns so thanks for asking the question.

It's good to hear everyone say it's normal.

I'm 5+4 so I think we must be at a similar stage. I feel really unprepared because DH and I only started reading up on it after we got the positive tests on Monday. But hey I found this website so I feel much better now!

Come and join the Feb 06 thread so we can compare notes about due dates!

RedZuleika Sat 11-Jun-05 21:31:40

I'm nearly 26 weeks pregnant and occasionally I get pains / sensations as if my period is about to start. My mother apparently got them all the way through. At the beginning of pregnancies I also (bizarrely) get a pins and needles type feeling in my vulva. Not sure what causes that...

Also - after three early miscarriages - I still half expect to see blood on the toilet paper when I go to the loo. I think if you've had problems, that worry doesn't go away.

Congratulations - and I hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now