Talk

Advanced search

Hayfever/Asthma

(18 Posts)
ChaCha Wed 01-Jun-05 10:32:28

I have the most awful hayfever and my bottle of sudafed has the pregnancy warning on it! What are you supposed to do? Is there anything suitable for PG women?
Does anyone suffer from asthma more in pregnancy than is usual?
Thanks

Chacha 14+2

swiperfox Wed 01-Jun-05 10:40:02

When i was pregnant with dd it was through the summer and i had dreadful hayfever and asthma - especially at night. I was told by my Dr at the time to basically deal with it - not to take anything - especially not my inhaler.

I recently went to asthma clinic with dd and told the nurse that i hadn't had an inhaler all through my pregnancy and she went beserk and said that it could have killed us both

I would make an appointment with the nurse to talk it through, she will be able to give you all the right info. You poor thing - hope it doesn't get too bad for you this summer

ChaCha Wed 01-Jun-05 10:58:45

Thanks
Did ask my GP about inhaler a few weeks ago and she said it was fine. I cannot believe your GP had you suffer the summer without it! Honestly!

Will talk to her about hayfever during next appt, thanks for that. Is not a pretty sight watching me with a runny nose, sneezing and clutching my belly at the same time (and not to mention - crossing my legs) lovely!

swiperfox Wed 01-Jun-05 11:00:31

lol remember it all too well!!!

catgirl Wed 01-Jun-05 11:03:12

I had hayfever when I was pg and was told by my doc to take 'beconase' (sorry about spelling?) - nasal spray - I got two large bottles on perscription - it was great to be able to take something. Hope your doc/nurse does the same.

Nemo1977 Wed 01-Jun-05 11:22:09

chacha my asthma is always worse when pg..dont know why it just is. for hayfever depends if u have sympathetic gp or not mine will not give anything but some do presribe some things.

handlemecarefully Wed 01-Jun-05 11:26:21

swiperfox, I think your practice nurse needs to brush up on her clinical skills.

Some GPs play it safe and will advise against (but don't really have any evidence for saying 'no')- there has just been such a lot of hysteria since thalidomide.

I took anti histamine throughout my pregnancy and sinutab. I looked up both (I think on British National Formulary website - can't remember precisely - and found that there was no published evidence on contraindications

handlemecarefully Wed 01-Jun-05 11:37:55

On babyworld's FAQ under pregnancy they advise piriton as safe (some other anti histamines may be inadvisable)

handlemecarefully Wed 01-Jun-05 11:38:50

re- read your post swiperfox, to be fair to the nurse maybe it's more complicated with asthma

handlemecarefully Wed 01-Jun-05 11:39:44

and it was reading it as her advising you not to take anti histamines (must read more carefully in future!)

Rachey1969 Wed 01-Jun-05 11:47:02

Hi ChaCha - I don't know that my asthma has ever got worse when I've been pregnant but I have had a couple of bad bouts especially with chest infections. I have been nebulised while pregnant and taken ventolin freely. I know that becotide (inhaled steroid) is safe as well (certainly better than not breathing!). Antihistamines are possibly more tricky - if in doubt ask a pharmacist - they know more about medicines than doctors!

mummyhill Thu 02-Jun-05 12:00:57

My asthma allways gets worse durring pregnancy and have had my inhallers throughout. My hayfever is terrible this time round my GP, my cousin who is a dr, and the two pharmacists in the family have advised me not to take anything but if it gets intollerable they will look through all the books and see if they can find anything that will help so for the moment i am not leaving the house unless i have a huge box of tissues and spend a lot of time with my legs crossed am noe 26 weeks so only a little while longer for me to endure it!!

handlemecarefully Thu 02-Jun-05 14:15:27

Mummyhill - piriton is fine - honestly. Ask your pharmacist relies about it.

mummyhill Thu 02-Jun-05 15:09:05

Will do anything to give a little relief would be good.

Katts Thu 02-Jun-05 16:31:07

My asthma's been slightly worse, although not dangerously so. I've upped my becotide dosage (on advice of doctor) and, as long as I'm vigilant about taking it, it seems to keep everything in check.

ChaCha Thu 02-Jun-05 18:24:20

I went out for a good 20 minute walk today and had to stop for a few puffs (of inhaler not fags)and it got worse as i made my way home. I also find that as i get up to use the bathroom in the night (around 5 times) i'm using it once or twice too. Am going to have to consult my GP again. Both together are a nightmare - not sure why asthma is worse now though

006 Thu 02-Jun-05 18:30:09

My asthma worsened a lot during my second pregnancy (but not my third) and I was hospitalised. After 26 weeks could move from becotide to seretide which made massive improvements. I'm sure things are diffrent at different stages - but if you don't breathe, neither does baby, so don't suffer. I was also prescribe anti-histamines whilst PG and BF.

mummyhill Thu 02-Jun-05 18:40:06

Apparently the asthma gets worse as the baby grows your lungs get crowded and you cannot pull in as much air as normal which causes a slight shortness of breath in most people but causes asthma sufferers more problems!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now