Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any ideas about consultant app in 2nd trimester please?

(9 Posts)
generalunrest Wed 02-Sep-09 15:41:53

I'm 22 wks and I've got an appointment with a consultant next Tuesday. I've had a look on the net and it seems like everyone who has had an app at this time has had high blood pressure etc. I've had no probs with this preg, or DD1, the only thing I can think of is that I'm 38.

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone else who's had an app and could shed any light on it cos I don't really want to contact the MW just to ask this smile

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 16:07:26

I think it's the 38 thing

do not let it spook you

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Wed 02-Sep-09 16:09:06

I think if your last pg and birth were fine then it is simply because of your age. I think in obstetric terms over 35 is still classed as 'high risk' despite how common it is.

If the consultant thinks there is no reason for you to be under his/her care, they may just put you straight back to midwife led care.

TotalChaos Wed 02-Sep-09 16:09:26

at my hospital absolutely everyone had one appointment just after 20 week scan with consultant or registrar. it was completely routine.

purpleicecream Wed 02-Sep-09 16:34:55

I am 38 and would love to have consultant care but it is the midwife for me.

It might just be the policy of the area.

Is your BMI high because that might be the reason?

stillstanding Wed 02-Sep-09 16:38:19

First time round I definitely saw the consultant once - I think towards the end - totally routine.

This time round have to see her twice at least because of complications first time round.

Really wouldn't worry about this. You will certainly see enough midwives if my schedule is anything to go by!

generalunrest Wed 02-Sep-09 16:41:00

Thanks for your answers, purpleicecream, my BMI was 22 when the MW checked it, I've never had it calculated before, but it seems OK when I looked it up on the net. Must be cos I'm old then sad grin

Is the app just to measure the bump etc do you know? I thought the MW would be doing that.

bevlin Mon 07-Sep-09 15:08:34

generalunrest Dont see it as a bad thing. I just turned 30 with first and was never away from consultants and high risk clinics! I had loads of probs even though i was not overweight and fit and healthy. It all ended well too and I had great care. It's good to be checked regularly though and at least when you go into labour they have a consultants notes and there's no chance your going to get turned away from a busy hospital if you've been written up as high risk in any way, to send you else where which is what happens a lot now with low risk PG due to the number of eatern europeans now in the country since EU. (This info from SiL's, friend who is a receptionist in maternity unit). I was relieved to hear there was one good thing about being high risk grin!
Im 32 and 23 weeks PG with 2nd, healthy with no probs so far but they still have me down as high risk based on last PG hmm - seems they don't need much excuse to send you to a consultant!

MrsHappy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:17:50

Don't let it worry you. I am having consultant-led care and they (or rather the succession of very junior docs I have seen) take my BP, measure my bump and have a listen - exactly the same as a MW appointment.
I guess if there was any problem it saves the MW from needing to refer you to a doctor but it does seem like a bit of a waste of time when there is no specific issue! I saw the doctor last time at 28 weeks and they have said they don't want to see me again until 36 weeks, and that is just to check I ma happy with my VBAC plans. I suspect that otherwise they might have been happy to leave it until 40 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now