Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nipple 'stimulation'; - should it be avoided early on?

(7 Posts)
nottoosure Wed 02-Sep-09 12:08:08

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this? Sorry if TMI!

Having read about the use of nipple stimulation to bring on labour, my DH is worried about using it for it's usual purposes blush ...if you know what I mean. I am only 27 weeks and he is worried he is going to bring on premature labour if he strokes them in bed!

Any advice/experience? Would Braxton Hicks occur as a warning or is it too early anyway or does it not really work after all?!

l39 Wed 02-Sep-09 12:26:23

I'm not a midwife but I think it's fine.
After all, prostaglandins in semen are supposed to bring on labour too - yet one can have sex every day while pregnant and still go overdue! (Personal experience)
I think most of these things will do nothing unless you're close to going into labour anyway.

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 12:27:26

I think it's fine - after all you can breastfeed while pg and my DS twiddles my other nipple while he's feeding!

nottoosure Wed 02-Sep-09 12:31:28

Thanks for the advice/experience, I suppose we're just being paranoid!

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 12:34:43

do you have any particular reason to worry about premature labour? Just occured to me that if you do it's probably worth checking with the MW to know for sure.

NewbeeMummy Wed 02-Sep-09 13:25:59

Shouldn't be a problem at all, my OH was doing it from the beginning up until a few weeks ago when I started leaking colostrom, which did put him off a bit.

But as StealthPolarBear says if you have a reason to worry about premature labour, for other reasons then check with your MW.

mosschops30 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:30:48

believe me if that baby isnt ready then it wont come no matter what!

You could say the same about sex and semen inducing labour, or eating curry, or pineapple or long walks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now