Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I feel so guilty

(7 Posts)
timmette Wed 02-Sep-09 08:15:04

I just saw the news on tv about taking folic acid, and I didn't take it before becoming pregnant as I miscarried just before this pregnancy and couldn't face it - it reminded me I wasn't pregnant.
Then when I got a bfp I was pretty sick all the time and struggled to keep it down. What have I done to my baby. I am racked with guilt. sad

brettgirl2 Wed 02-Sep-09 08:19:51

Please don't worry. None of our mothers took folic acid and we don't have spina bifida. It only slightly reduces a pretty low risk, you are looking after your baby brilliantly smile

sybilfaulty Wed 02-Sep-09 08:23:10

Remember too that lots of products (bread, cereal etc) are fortified with B vits so chances are you will have got some extra anyway.

Please don't beat yourself up. I am sure everything will be fine.

Oh, and congratulations.

timmette Wed 02-Sep-09 08:28:19

Thanks -my dh just saw the news and asked how much I had taken - sad.
I feel so stupid because I took it properly with ds 1 .

monkeybumsmum Wed 02-Sep-09 16:57:58

Hi timmette smile How are you? Please don't worry about the folic acid, chances are if you'd been eating a healthy diet before becoming pregnant that it would've contained a good amount of folic acid anyway.
I did exactly the same as you when trying to conceive ds - was so fed up not getting pg that I stopped taking it as I didn't want the reminder every day. Then I had hyperemisis and couldn't keep anything down, let alone a big tablet. DS turned out perfect smile

PS can you pop in and see us on the Living Overseas forum? There's a lady who might need your help smile Plus, we are planning our next outing!

timmette Thu 03-Sep-09 08:06:26

Thanks monkeybumsmum I feel a bit foolish about it and dh mentioned it again today so it is clearly on his mind.
I will pop over and see if I can help

GoldenSnitch Thu 03-Sep-09 08:20:19

Timmette, all these things contain high or good levels of Folic Acid;
* Bovril
* Fruits - particularly kiwi fruit and papaya.
* Vegetables such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, cabbage, asparagus and parsnips.
* Cooked kidney and liver
* Oranges (including orange juice)
* Tinned baked beans
* Lettuce, peas and cauliflower
* Marmite
* Egg yolks
* Milk
* Wholemeal and white bread (usually fortified with folic acid).
* Large jacket potato

As long as you've been eating some of these, you'll have been taking in Folates.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now