Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38+ weeks and 'a little bit anaemic' - is there any need to do anything?

(19 Posts)
LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 12:22:28

Just called to chase up a blood test I had on Friday and apparently my blood count is 10.5, which means I'm a little bit anaemic.
Going to see my MW this afternoon, where I'll see what she suggests, but at this level is there any need to take iron tablets?
FWIW my last blood tests were at 32 weeks where everything was fine - and they decided they didn't need repeating at 36 weeks because of that.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 12:25:23

or are iron supplements no big deal?
Would be prepared to eat spinach and broccoli with every meal if that's what it takes.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 12:29:37

and start drinking orange juice

pasturesnew Tue 01-Sep-09 12:35:44

Iron tablets might be a bit of a stronger dose than you need - can recommend Floradix available from Holland & Barrett or similar

reikizen Tue 01-Sep-09 12:36:25

10.5 is a perfectly acceptable iron count. I'd suggest Spatone as it is easier on the stomach than the iron tablets. From Boots and you mix it with orange juice to aid absorbtion of the iron. But yes, plenty of iron rich foods too.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 12:37:32

well that's what I thought - if I'm just under I don't want to be put on the 'standard' dose.
Plus I don't feel lacking in energy or overly tired. Obviously if there's a danger in labour I'll do anything I need to but if it's a standard reaction assuming I'm tired then I'd rather not.

TigerFeet Tue 01-Sep-09 12:42:31

Spatone is great as a pick-me-up, you can chuck it in some OJ to increase its efficacy and it doesn't have the side effects that some iron tablets have.

otoh steak and broccoli for tea every night wouldn't really be a hardship grin (unless you're veggie of course)

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 12:46:53

so does it not cause constipation then?
Thought spatone is what they would prescribe?
Just don't want it if it's not really necessary - have been up since 5 and have done a list of jobs that would make the pre-DC me go back to bed for a snooze
Yes, I am veggie, so obviously have always been nervous about anaemia but it's never really been a problem.

TigerFeet Tue 01-Sep-09 12:50:58

no, no constipation, thats why it gets recommended so much on here I reckon.

I don't know if they would prescribe spatone unless you asked for it specifically, I was prescribed bog standard iron tablets in my last pg. Thankfully not needed them this time, but I did take spatone anyway for a while when I was feeling run down.

glasgowlass Tue 01-Sep-09 12:51:46

Hi,

I had routine bloods when I was 38 weeks, Hb 10.1. I got prescribed pregaday as I was vomiting a heck of a lot and they are a one a day dose.

TBH when I went into labour at 39+6 the MW in labour suite said it was unnecessary for me to be on them as a Hb of 10.1 isnt that bad.

I did take them for a few weeks post natally as the community MW said I looked a bit "peaky", think it was the tiredness as opposed to anaemia.

Speak to MW and state you feel generally well and would rather not take supplements if not strictly necessary.

Agree with above, plenty iron rich foods, orange juice and if you drink tea or coffee try to cut out or at least cut down.

Good luck.

ilovegreenbeans Tue 01-Sep-09 12:54:56

I would say that it's best to get your iron levels up before the birth. Blood loss will make your hb levels drop and they can take a while to replenish. Which can affect your energy levels, etc...
It's not a lot of trouble taking iron tablets or another supplement, but I think it's really worth it.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 13:01:17

Thanks everyone.
Right, I'll see what they MW says but ask about diet changes or spatone first if she does want me to do something.

lazylion Tue 01-Sep-09 15:29:00

I was 10.4 at 37 weeks and the consultant put me on double dose of pregaday iron tablets. I took them for a week but it felt a bit extreme to me - nice to read your posts here as they do seem to confirm that. The side effects were not nice (mainly sickness & heartburn for me).
I'm on dark chocolate and dried apricots and feel fine.
After I had a miscarriage last year I took Floradix and that worked very well.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 17:21:17

Just a quick update - MW was fine with me making diet changes and gave me a sheet of high iron food. Was pleased to see that includes bran flakes - so I'll just start having them for breakfast every morning. Even though I'm vegi I don't think it will be a problem, and she's going to check my blood again at my next appointment, assuming I don't go into labour before then. Also going to get some delicious sounding spatone, thanks
She said the results were borderline for treatment.
lazylion, are you pg at the moment, couldn't tell from your post, sorry. Apricots - bleurgh (but I will eat them!) but chocolate sounds nice... I have had really bad indigestion this time, didn't realise that was one of the side effect so would definitely prefer to avoid it if possible.

TamTam29 Tue 01-Sep-09 17:40:11

Another one to recommend spatone - had anemia with both my pregnancies. With DS1 I had iron tablets which boosted up my levels then i mantained it with floridix. With DS2, couldnt stomach floridix and despite taking the tablets & eating well, my levels kept dropping. They improved straight away with Spatone.

Dont try what I did though - the box says that you can take 2 a day when pregnant. I tried to take both together and needed a whole cartoon of orange juise to dilate the metalic taste. It took me all day to get through it!

TamTam29 Tue 01-Sep-09 17:41:12

Also - i think 10.5 would be considered "normal" if you werent pregnant (although close to the borderline)

lazylion Tue 01-Sep-09 19:35:20

Yes, I'm pregnant until Thursday - then I'm having a c-section. I'm veggie too but can't face green leafy things when I'm pregnant so dark chococolate has to do! I have been eating lots of breakfast cereals too, they are mostly fortified with iron so you can pick & choose.
You are supposed to drink orange juice to help your body absorb the iron but if you have indigestion it might make it worse. Orange juice feels like battery acid on the way down for me. The main thing I have done is given up tea, it is supposed to make a difference to how much iron you absorb. Anything to avoid horrible iron tablets.

TamTam29 Tue 01-Sep-09 20:13:03

oh yeah - i had forgotten, i was told that calcium stops iron being absorbed so try not to eat calcium rich foods around an hour before/after your vit c & iron.

I had serious heartburn & was knocking back the gaviscon continually and drinking lots of milk, which is partly why I think i had difficulties boosting up my iron.

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 08:53:47

Oh dear, just had a huge bowl of branflakes with milk
Ah well, scrambled egg later (although I don't see why that has more iron than any other sort of egg hmm), butter beans, spinach, and spatone! MW said it's the folic acid in the orange juice that helps the iron absorption so as I'm still on my pg supplements that shouldn't matter too much should it?
Good luck for tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now