Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

URGENT - 9 weeks pg and vomiting blood. Anyone?

(10 Posts)
TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 01-Sep-09 09:09:58

My friend is 9 weeks pg and has just text me to say she is vomiting blood. She's had extreme morning (all day) sickness and is taking anti emetics for it. I've told her to phone her GP now, but is there anything else she can do to get seen quicker? She has been complaining of period style cramps too.

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 09:11:54

GP now for emergency appt today

could be a side effect of the drugs

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 01-Sep-09 09:18:20

That's what I thought MrsB. I said if she gets no joy with the gp phone nhs direct. If she gets no joy there then phone the EPU.

But then I am bolshy. blush

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 01-Sep-09 09:20:13

more likely to be a side effect of the extreme vomiting than of the drugs.
but yes, if she is throwing up that badly then the drugs aren't working and she needs something better immediately.

notevenamousie Tue 01-Sep-09 09:23:49

A+E or early pregnancy unit.

Is likely a side effect of the vomiting.
I lost 2 units of blood (about 900mL) vomiting at 20 weeks after my oesophagus tore. She needs a drip, fluids, and better drugs. Hope she gets sorted soon, I remember how terrible it feels

CMOTdibbler Tue 01-Sep-09 09:29:34

If it is anything more than a trace of blood in her vomit, then she needs to go to A+E straightaway.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 01-Sep-09 09:49:33

She has a GP's appt at 11.30. I'm going to have her dd's so she can talk to the dr in peace!

What a nightmare! I never had bad sickness with either of mine so I don't know what to do to help.

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 01-Sep-09 09:53:12

She may need to be really insistent with the GP, if s/he doesn't take it seriously. Many just don't 'get' hyperemesis and tell people to eat ginger biscuits etc. hmm Though others know all about it and are great.

She is likely to be the recipient of a lot of really daft comments at some point, so if you can just be sympathetic and take it seriously that will make a huge difference to how she feels emotionally.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 01-Sep-09 15:09:27

Hiya - just a quick update for you. She saw her GP who referred her to hospital. Her dh has come home and taken them all. The GP says she's at risk of hyperemesis (which is a new one on me - i thought you either had it or you didn't!) and dehydrated. I think they'll probably put her on an IV.

Positive MN vibes much appreciated. smile

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 02-Sep-09 08:33:09

Hope she feels better soon.
She is probably in for a pretty miserable first trimester at least, but hopefully it will clear up at some point and she'll be able to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now