Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excuses for missing work and not flying needed

(5 Posts)
clams Mon 31-Aug-09 20:27:55

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and can't tell any workmates or my manager yet. I've got really bad sickness/nausea and might not be able to get into work some days. I'd usually use the old gastric flu (a guaranteed 3 days off!) but that might not carry for another 6 weeks if this continues. Has anyone else been in this position and what reason did they give?

Also, I'm expected to fly overseas with work next week, for a week. I don't think I'll be able to.

Any ideas appreciated!

starmucks Mon 31-Aug-09 20:39:49

I go with the old mantra never complain, never explain. I had terrible morning sickness (vomitting at least 5 times a day)for the first 20 weeks of my first pregnancy and didn't tell they anyone at work until 12 weeks. Most people guessed but had the good grace not to mention anything until I told them. That said one person thought I had developed a serious illness. In my experience being ill at work was no more unpleasant than at home, and at least I had the distraction of work. I also undertook two business trips, one to Europe and the other to South Africa. I found having to concentrate in meetings was a welcome relief from focusing on feeling so crap.

missingthemountains Mon 31-Aug-09 20:48:34

chronic inner ear infection? dr advises against flying and infection makes you very dizzy and liable to fall over some days??

or just say you are unwell with a virus or anaemia or something non-specific- you have good days and bad days - and it's under investigation by the hospital so they have advised you not to undertake travel until it's sorted. this would also explain why you may look tired and pale at work.

bevlin Tue 01-Sep-09 21:03:12

Swine Flu!!wink

Shiregirl Tue 01-Sep-09 21:12:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now