Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

gum infection by wisdom tooth

(8 Posts)
seema123 Mon 31-Aug-09 16:50:44

im 8 weeks pregnant..4 days ago i started getting pain on my upper right jaw side of wisdom tooth...i thought its a minor infection or cut so i appied clove oil for a day thinking that its a home remedy for dental pain relief....but the next day the situation got worst and i went to the dentist...dentist told that i got a gum infection beneath my wisdom tooth and as im just 8 weeks pregnant he just gave me betadin mouthwash/gargle...im in expreme and severe pain and can hardly open my mouth..stiffiness in my jaws and the pain is going till the ears plz advice.its agony!

fluffles Mon 31-Aug-09 16:53:20

did he not tell you about hot salty water? imo it's the best non-drug thing for gum pain, take it as hot and as salty as you can and hold it in your mouth and swish around as many times a day as necessary... the salt should kill the bacteria and bring the swelling down.

seema123 Mon 31-Aug-09 16:55:33

im not applying clove oil since i went to dentist..im just using prescribed mouthwash thats it nothing also...plz what shld i go now..???there is some white linen beneath my wisdom tooth due to the gum infection...i dont hav my cavity in my wisdom tooth or any molars.

seema123 Mon 31-Aug-09 16:58:25

thx fluffles..i will try that..im just on mouthwash since 3 days..but there is no difference the condition is the same.

mrswee Mon 31-Aug-09 17:00:51

I would avoid clove oil from now on too, it's recommended in pregnancy. Not to worry you just don't take any more!

twinkletoes80 Mon 31-Aug-09 18:16:25

I have sympathy for you, its so painful. Google "oil pulling" and read up on it. You need to get some sunflower or sesame oil and swill it around your mouth and around that tooth in particular for 15 minutes and then spit it out. It will pull the bacteria out and lessen the pain. It is an absolutely brilliant naturopathic procedure and safe during pregnancy.

Stokey Wed 02-Sep-09 18:34:10

Also try Corsodyl mouthwash

you need to use it about 5 mins after brushing & it can stain but is great for fighting infection - also safe for pregnanacy tho tastes a bit grim

Naetha Thu 03-Sep-09 13:47:57

You can take co-codamol - I had exactly the same thing as you when I was 20ish weeks pregnant, and took that to ease the pain. Not to mention the di-hydrocodeine I was prescribed for gall bladder pain between 4 and 15 weeks (when they operated to take the damn thing out).

You can buy it over the counter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now