Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Head or bottom???

(18 Posts)
maldivemoment Sun 30-Aug-09 13:32:31

Hi all

Fist timer here! I have a feeling baby may be breech but won't know for sure until 36 week check up - this Friday. I can feel what I think is baby's head at the top of my uterus, but could it be baby's bottom??? How can you tell the difference? Anyone else had experience of this?

Apologies is that's a ridiculous question and thanks in advance for all replies!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 30-Aug-09 13:38:13

I've got 2 children and during pregnancy could never work out what was where!

Some people claim to be able to feel hands or feet (although how they could tell the difference I don't know!?).

I had to rely on the midwife to tell me but of course it all changes as baby moves around.

You'll just have to wait for the midwife appt I guess -good luck smile

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Aug-09 13:40:39

I had an anterior placenta but could still feel where dd was. She used to push her feet out the top left hand side of my bump (she was ceph), you could feel the curve of her spine down the right hand side and there's nothing quite like the feeling of a head wedged in your pelvis.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 30-Aug-09 13:44:51

aah, now you see I had SPD so it permanently felt as if I had a head wedged in my pelvis <<ouch>>

corblimeymadam Sun 30-Aug-09 14:21:20

Message withdrawn

lynniep Sun 30-Aug-09 14:36:58

well, I dont believe anyone actually. The scan will tell you for sure. It is very difficult to tell with some babies.
I spent the whole of my first pregancy with DS's head in my ribs. I was convinced it was his skull - it felt just like one - but the midwife told me - no, it was his bottom, so I believed her. Even though it continued to feel just like a head.
It wasnt just her, I saw at least 3 other midwives who told me his head was engaged - inlcuding the one who was present at his birth and told me this as close as 20 minutes before his first foot came out...

Tangle Sun 30-Aug-09 14:42:27

You might get a clue by lying on your back with a hand either side of the head/bum at the top of your bump - push gently with alternate hands. If the baby is cephalic then the movement should go down through the entire spine. If they're breech then the motion should stop at the baby's neck (which is why you do it gently!)

I learnt it from the very experienced IM who wound up attending DD's home breech birth

lilysam Mon 31-Aug-09 08:22:21

My dd was breech (also had 3 different mw telling me she was head down hmm). Her head felt like a cricket ball wedged by my ribs. Was beginning to think she had a very very bony bottom until a scan showed i was right! Good job i kept asking...

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Mon 31-Aug-09 08:41:15

I thought DD was breech and was patting and talking to her "head" trying to get her to turn 'round. Turns out it was her bum. Oh well.

mrswee Mon 31-Aug-09 10:13:10

Hi

I was told my baby is breech at my 32 weeks appointment.

I too feel what could be the head at the top of my uterus, but I have been hoping it's really a bum!
I have my 36 week appointment in about an hour so I will tell you what the MW says, when I get home!

wish me luck with it being a bum!!

brightonbleach Mon 31-Aug-09 10:57:27

mrswee bum bum bum BUUUM grin

mine's been breech - extended breech/transverse breech etc - and turned this last week but feels like he's turned again, so i can't tell any more which end is up! next scan monday so will see then... 32 weeks and counting

Fruitbatlings Mon 31-Aug-09 10:59:39

The head can be moved about fairly easily, bottom not so much

hth smile

mrswee Mon 31-Aug-09 12:00:37

ok so I'm back...
Thanks brightonbleach! - The MW thinks it's a head I'm afraid!

maldivemoment- if my MW is correct that it is a head there, which I think she is then as Fruitbatlings says above - the head does move around easily. I get a lot of movement from my 'curved lump' at the top of my uterus, not like kicks so much as just a sort of pushing and side to side movement. This might be a way of you telling.

Now that the MW thinks the baby may still be breech, I'm getting booked in for a scan to check the positioning for sure.

maldivemoment good luck with your 36 week appointment!

mogend77 Mon 31-Aug-09 15:20:49

I think it's really hard even for experienced midwives, but basically if it bounces when you poke it it is a head, if it is unbounce-able it's a bottom!

Legs/feet are absolutely no use as an indication of anything as the baby can have them up over his/her head or stretch them out below her bum - and could vary and do both all the time.

maldivemoment Mon 31-Aug-09 20:12:01

Thanks all for sharing your stories. Still none the wiser and now worried I've been poking my baby in the face in the hope that it's been a bottom! Oh dear!

Will try to put it out my mind until I see midwife on Friday but PLEEEEEEASE let it be a bottom...the thought of trying to turn this baby or, worse still, a dreaded c section fills me with horror! (Can you tell I'm a big wimp???)

maldivemoment Fri 04-Sep-09 18:49:57

Woo-hoo! What I thought was a head is in fact a bottom so baby is in correct position!

Hopefully will sleep like a baby myself tonight as I have had a few sleepless nights worrying about this!

Deeeja Fri 04-Sep-09 19:01:52

Oh excellent!
My little one has gone head down this week, was previously breech/transverse.
smile

mrswee Fri 04-Sep-09 21:19:48

excellent news! Mine defo was a head... had a scan today.. the little monkey is already being difficult and is not even born yet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now