Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

40wks+ : anything constructive I ought to do rather than slob on the sofa?

(11 Posts)
Mimile Sun 30-Aug-09 12:57:06

Right. It's not fun anymore. I went from being in denial, to getting ready for the birth, to returning to denial this baby is ever coming out. 40+5 today, got a nice set of stretchmarks on my EDD (my birthday too), which have been widening since. The tiredness has also kick in big time, as soon as EDD had been and gone
So I spend my day feeling sorry for my sad self, trolling "stretchmark websites" to prepare myself for the pizza dough effect to follow soon (had bad stretchmarks in my teens, so I know it will never look the same way ever again, ah ah).
But: should I get off the sofa and do something constructive?
Is there stuff I really ought to do or I'll regret later? catching up with work now? (I'm meant to go back in part-time v. v. soon after birth) Batch cooking? (the idea appeals, but standing in front of the hob doesn't) MTV watching? (but is it really constructive?).
Any advice gladly welcome!

LadyStealthPolarBear Sun 30-Aug-09 13:06:08

lie there ad do pelvic floor exercises

grin Sun 30-Aug-09 13:16:26

My pg yoga teacher (also a midwife) always said to wash the kitchen floor. Something to do with a good position etc!

Other options: eat curry. Drink raspberry leaf tea. Sleep. Watch a film you've been meaning to watch. Write letters. Doing your work would make you feel more positive and pleased with yourself which might help! Failing all that - a bit of nipple tweaking to get the oxytocin flowing?!

Southwestwhippet Sun 30-Aug-09 13:20:08

I'm sure I've read that being on all fours encourages the baby into the correct position. Hence the old wives tale about washing the skirting boards.

Not suggesting you do that but could you watch TV on all fours - a sort of

"I'm not slobbing out whilst watching 60minute makeover, I am actively preparing for a smooth birth (whilst watching 60minute makeover)" wink

Mimile Sun 30-Aug-09 13:41:32

well, "60 minutes make-over" can't be worst than "Rock of Love II with Bret Michaels" blush oh dear - my brain has definetly melted blush
Will give work a go - I just need to get started, that could be the hardest part, though wink In the meantime, I'll boss my DH about to obtain food.

KateMess Sun 30-Aug-09 18:07:17

Hi Mimile, I'm 40+3 and lying on the sofa too. I can only say it's a position greatly improved by adding strawberry cheesecake ice cream and singing ohshuddupayaface in response to DP's suggestions that I go for a walk/read a book/do some work/get the hell of google for ten minutes etc.

ThePhantomPlopper Sun 30-Aug-09 18:49:29

A vigorous hoovering session kicked off my labour both times.

Mimile Sun 30-Aug-09 18:55:31

OK - I'm giving the hoovering a go (I need to expand the calories of the 1/2 tub of carte d'or I scoffed) - we'll see if anything happens.
Getting some regular "tightenings", feels like the baby is pushing the walls of the womb more than anything else though, not even remotely painful, so I guess it is not it...

grin Sun 30-Aug-09 19:39:42

That's how mine started... all the best, keep us posted.

Mimile Tue 01-Sep-09 12:01:42

still nothing - and now it will be a September baby.
Have upgraded to Beauty and the Geek, awaiting Jeremy Kyle, and then will start considering second hoovering session.
Even had sex twice in the last 2 days, which is more than over the last 6 months blush.

LadyStealthPolarBear Tue 01-Sep-09 14:18:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now