Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Chronic indigestion keeping me awake at night and uncomfortable all day : (

(9 Posts)
spongebrainmaternitypants Sun 30-Aug-09 09:35:24

This is my 2nd pg, never had this problem with DS1.

I have stopped eating after 8pm and I'm trying to find out what foods I should be eating and what I should be avoiding but the advice seems confusing - or maybe it's just my pg brain! blush

I know lots of people suffer from this during pg so any advice would be gratefully received.

I keep a bottle of Gaviscon by my bed so I can swig it in the wee small hours when I get woken up by the discomfort but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Sitting up in bed is hard cos I have SPD and sciatica!

Thank you for any help smile.

wahwahwah Sun 30-Aug-09 09:51:58

I found plain yoghurt worked. stay off orange juice and bending down to tie shoe laces really set it off for me! Ginger is good too (the crystalised stuff is ok).

rubyslippers Sun 30-Aug-09 09:53:29

eat little and often - this is much better than having large meals

i have bad indigestion too - things like hot water or mint tea are very soothing

Cies Sun 30-Aug-09 09:58:01

Try to avoid bending down or lying down after eating.

I think the foods that set it off vary from person to person - I find natural yogurt one of the worst culprits!

However, anything acidic, like fruit and juices is more likely to give you indigestion.

Weegle Sun 30-Aug-09 10:07:35

eat little and often - I've found staying off juices (particularly citric) and not eating too much starchy food (e.g. bread) after about 5pm. Also mine got so bad with DS (and now at 19 wks second preg) has just reached horrific levels again (can be lying in bed and acid is literally coming in to my mouth) that I've just been put on Ranitidine. I take the lowest dose possible - but there is something out there you can take if it's really causing probs.

Jasmine1111 Sun 30-Aug-09 10:12:01

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say, I feel your pain! Indigestion has been keeping me awake for the last few weeks. It's horrible. I propped up my pillows which helped a bit last night but I realise you can't try that. I've moved my gaviscon to beside my bed too!

tink08 Sun 30-Aug-09 17:03:12

Hi i've been taking gaviscon althrough my pregnancy and have just been told it's ok to take Zantac releif tablets , you can get them from any chemist or even Wilkinsons ! and they are like a miracle cure honestly and totally safe smile

Weegle Sun 30-Aug-09 17:29:46

Zantac is the trade name for ranitidine - it's expensive so worth getting on your maternity prescription. also the dose you can get from the GP can be increased above that which Zantac can...

spongebrainmaternitypants Sun 30-Aug-09 18:49:41

Thanks for all the sympathy, and the advice! Esp like the sound of the zantac, have an appt to see my GP on Tues am anyway so will ask for it on prescription - 'miracle cure' sounds wonderful! smile

I am 31 wks now so not too long to go, but could really do with some sleep! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now