Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

surely my 1st scan date is TOO late?

(12 Posts)
CakeandFineWine Sat 29-Aug-09 16:16:21

Hi all

Quick(ish) question.

I'm currently 12+4 weeks preg with #2.

I had an early preg assessment scan and their dates and mine didn't add up.

In a nutshell my LMP was 2/6/09
My cycle is longer than the 28 dates averaging between 31-35 days so roughly a week longer.

My first +ve result was on 30/6/09.

So I'm really confused as to exactly how far gone I am.

But my 1st scan isn't until 17/09/09 which if my cycle was average would be 15+2weeks.
Surly this is very late ?too late. esp as blood test etc are done at the same time.

They also know I fly out of the country on the 19th for a week so if there is a prob I'm screwed?

Ok not so quick question

Spagblog Sat 29-Aug-09 16:18:22

When I had my two the first scan was at 20 weeks.
Therefore having one at 15 weeks is plenty early surely?

CakeandFineWine Sat 29-Aug-09 16:19:45

Fair enough, guess my thoughts are if something is wrong and is picked up its quite late?
Did they know you we're so far gone? We get our second scan at 20 weeks here....

sonsmum Sat 29-Aug-09 16:24:40

the first scan timing is only important if you want the nuchal test - that must be done when you are 12-13 weeks.....with ds1 when i had my 1st scan i was 14 weeks.....the sonographer said straight away the baby was past 13 weeks and it would be too late to measure the nuchal fold. I was 14+5 apparantly at that scan. Just had 1st scan wwith 2nd dc and am 12+3 (comparing the scans, the differnece in development in 2 weeks is quite amazing!)
The 1st scan is just for dating really. From this scan you will get your true due date......which will prob differ form the date the midwife gave you as that doesn't take into account cycle length.

CakeandFineWine Sat 29-Aug-09 16:35:25

but if you want nuchal test then it would be 2 late then?

lilysam Sat 29-Aug-09 16:55:02

Far too late - think the cut off it 13+6.

I'd call the hospital and get it changed

bigstripeytiger Sat 29-Aug-09 17:02:17

It sounds like the hospital dont do a nuchal measurement, if they are doing the blood tests instead, so it probably wont matter from that point of view.

MoragG Sat 29-Aug-09 17:20:45

It depends where you live. My first (only) scan was at 14 + 6. Here (Glasgow) you only get one scan, and no nuchal fold test.

carrielou2007 Sat 29-Aug-09 17:42:48

You should have blood tests at your booking in? As others have said it is only if you want the nulchal that you are way out for dates/ We have to pay for that here too even though should get it being over 35 and my NHS scan was after the cut off so had to pay for dating scan too angry as well as the nulchal (well oscar). The difference in NHS trusts is still very different depending on where you are in the country hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 17:51:43

Go private?

mamadiva Sat 29-Aug-09 18:09:43

When I found out I was pg and lived in Glasgow (2005) I was 17+5 at my first scan and that was the one and only scan I ahd there until I moved to the Highlands where they were gobsmacked by this and gave me a detailed scan at 30+6 weeks.

Maybe it goes by area practice?

CakeandFineWine Sat 29-Aug-09 19:45:32

I know its different depending on where you live which is quite frankly appauling!

My midwife said I would have a dating/nuchal scan at 12ish weeks then an anomoly scan at 20 weeks and due to my high risk of pre-eclampsia rearing its ugly head again from 30weeks may well have fortnightly growth scans!!

I also had a 12 week nuchal scan and 20 week scan with DD1 (I live in same area!)

Think I'll ring my midwife on Tuesday!?

Thanks for all your advice though, think we should start a campaign for fair and equal ante-natal care in the UK though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now