Hi PhDLife How's it going? We moved buildings at work last week - v exciting, we all have lovely new offices and our own purpose-built teaching spaces and the School of Education hates us because we stole their building (hijacks own thread)
with a transverse baby, if the waters go, there is a greater chance of a cord prolapse, which is serious, and the baby would need delivering immediately. this is because when the baby is transverse, the shoulder is deemed to be the presenting part, rather than a head or bottom, and therefore there is more space for the cord to come down if the waters break.
Thanks Lulu. So it would not be bedrest, just a case of sitting around in hospital waiting for something to happen? Then a C-section as soon as it does happen, assuming it hasn't turned by itself? And if I was in hospital and it turned, would they let me go home again? Or make me stay in case it turned back?
wow, exciting times! (slight ) On the strength of my godawful PGCE I must admit I'm unreasonably glad to see a School of Education getting stuffed [must have therapy emoticon] even at a completely unrelated university
we're still wading out of the aftermath of July (aka "The Month of Many Horrors"), we're having a hideous heatwave (35! In August, ffs!) and I'm wrecked as dd has decided 19 weeks is a good time to add night feeds . Needless to say not a lot of work getting done here but at least everyone's well. (except dh, obviously)
why don't you call the labour ward or AN ward and ask them? what you will be advised to do can vary. but i think it is more that you are in hospital, rather than having to lie still in bed !! you can of course, choose to not be admitted , if that is your informed decision, but i would definitely find out what their proposed care plan is so you can have a good think about things
Thanks Lulu, that's a good idea. I wouldn't choose not be to be admitted if they wanted to admit me, I don't think - we are too far away from the hospital (35 mins when there is no traffic but much much longer if it's busy). To some extent I felt like the consultant was trying to put the fear of God into me because he thought I had missed most of my antenatal appointments (I hadn't actually, they just weren't in the notes because the hospital had forgotten to send the notes to the midwife) and I had the temerity to say I couldn't come to an appointment on the date he wanted me to. When I googled later it looked like the vast majority of babies that are tranverse at 33 weeks do turn round. However I don't really object to the playing safe attitude.
Oh well, glad she's growing well PhDLife Maybe it's because you are in Australia. My family have quite a lot of second cousins in Australia and whenever they came to visit my parents were always amazed by how strapping and healthy they were compared to the weedy British end of the family.
I think it is important to know the risks of each situation, but at 33 weeks, like you say, there is lots of time for the baby to turn. shame he was being a bit off with you, does not inspire confidence.
if you had a cord prolapse, you'd need to call 999. if your waters go and there is any concern, you need to get on the floor, with your chest on the floor and your bum as high up in the air as you can !
but hopefully things will be sorted, either the baby will have turned, or you will be there anyway.. try not to worry !
I got told the same thing yesterday but I'm 36 + 3. I have to have another scan on Weds/Thurs and be prepared to be kept in for a c-section at 39/40 weeks if baby is still transverse. I have been advised to dial 999 if my waters go (they went at 38 weeks with DS). The main concern with me is also the distance from the hospital as I have a 30 mile motorway trip to get there so they really want me close by just in case. Anyway, good luck with turning your baby. According to my midwife on Weds mine was head down but back to back so seems to have moved in the two days before my scan. Am therefore hoping she can jolly well move back again.