Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question about transverse lie & hospital admission

(22 Posts)
kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 11:38:34

I am 33 weeks, I saw the consultant on Thursday and baby is transverse.
Consultant says if it is still tranverse at 37 weeks they are likely to want to admit me. Does anyone have any idea why?

would this be to enforce bed rest/so that if I go into labour suddenly without the baby turning they can do a C-section quickly? Or some other reason?

Thanks!

phdlife Sat 29-Aug-09 11:42:37

hi Kathy - no advice, just thought I'd wave and say g'day and that I hope it all goes well for you

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 11:45:29

Hi PhDLife smile
How's it going?
We moved buildings at work last week - v exciting, we all have lovely new offices and our own purpose-built teaching spaces and the School of Education hates us because we stole their building grin
(hijacks own thread)

LuluMaman Sat 29-Aug-09 11:46:59

with a transverse baby, if the waters go, there is a greater chance of a cord prolapse, which is serious, and the baby would need delivering immediately. this is because when the baby is transverse, the shoulder is deemed to be the presenting part, rather than a head or bottom, and therefore there is more space for the cord to come down if the waters break.

there is still lots of time for the baby to turn

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 11:50:19

Thanks Lulu.
So it would not be bedrest, just a case of sitting around in hospital waiting for something to happen?
Then a C-section as soon as it does happen, assuming it hasn't turned by itself?
And if I was in hospital and it turned, would they let me go home again? Or make me stay in case it turned back?

phdlife Sat 29-Aug-09 11:52:30

wow, exciting times! (slight envy) On the strength of my godawful PGCE I must admit I'm unreasonably glad to see a School of Education getting stuffed [must have therapy emoticon] even at a completely unrelated university grin

we're still wading out of the aftermath of July (aka "The Month of Many Horrors"), we're having a hideous heatwave (35! In August, ffs!) and I'm wrecked as dd has decided 19 weeks is a good time to add night feeds hmm. Needless to say not a lot of work getting done here but at least everyone's well. (except dh, obviously)

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 11:54:12

ROFL re School of Ed getting stuffed.
Presumably the night-feed-adding is because of the heat because she needs more liquid? So when the weather cools down she will drop it again?

LuluMaman Sat 29-Aug-09 11:56:01

why don't you call the labour ward or AN ward and ask them? what you will be advised to do can vary. but i think it is more that you are in hospital, rather than having to lie still in bed !! you can of course, choose to not be admitted , if that is your informed decision, but i would definitely find out what their proposed care plan is so you can have a good think about things

phdlife Sat 29-Aug-09 12:00:39

oh, that could be it - never thought of that blush Assumed it was because she's, er, a big fatty strapping healthy lass. grin Or teething. Or a growth spurt. hmm

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 12:01:35

Thanks Lulu, that's a good idea.
I wouldn't choose not be to be admitted if they wanted to admit me, I don't think - we are too far away from the hospital (35 mins when there is no traffic but much much longer if it's busy).
To some extent I felt like the consultant was trying to put the fear of God into me because he thought I had missed most of my antenatal appointments (I hadn't actually, they just weren't in the notes because the hospital had forgotten to send the notes to the midwife) and I had the temerity to say I couldn't come to an appointment on the date he wanted me to. When I googled later it looked like the vast majority of babies that are tranverse at 33 weeks do turn round.
However I don't really object to the playing safe attitude.

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 12:04:34

Oh well, glad she's growing well PhDLife grin
Maybe it's because you are in Australia. My family have quite a lot of second cousins in Australia and whenever they came to visit my parents were always amazed by how strapping and healthy they were compared to the weedy British end of the family.

LuluMaman Sat 29-Aug-09 12:05:41

I think it is important to know the risks of each situation, but at 33 weeks, like you say, there is lots of time for the baby to turn. shame he was being a bit off with you, does not inspire confidence.

if you had a cord prolapse, you'd need to call 999. if your waters go and there is any concern, you need to get on the floor, with your chest on the floor and your bum as high up in the air as you can !

but hopefully things will be sorted, either the baby will have turned, or you will be there anyway.. try not to worry !

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Sat 29-Aug-09 12:08:03

Hi kathy

I am 29 weeks and also have a transverse baby. I'm a bit concerned because my last baby was c/s for undiagnosed breech and I was really hoping for a vbac this time.

I know that there is still plenty of time for her to turn, but am trying to help things along. Have you seen this site

It may be useful for you. I also spent 15 minutes yesterday with my bum in the air and headphones down my trousers hoping the music would attract her into my pelvis grin

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 12:08:58

Thanks Lulu, that's really helpful. smile

phdlife Sat 29-Aug-09 12:13:23

could be - must say one thing I loved about living in the UK was that I was not regarded as short there grin

Shall de-jack your thread now, good luck with turning that baby!

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 12:14:22

Thanks for the link Meemar, I knew about the site but couldn't find the relevant bits!

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 12:18:04

PhD - my brother moved to Japan for that reason!

phdlife Sat 29-Aug-09 12:45:47

lol - I was only a kid when I lived in Japan, don't remember having any advantage there. grin

MsBrandybuck Sat 29-Aug-09 13:51:50

Hi Kathy,

I got told the same thing yesterday but I'm 36 + 3. I have to have another scan on Weds/Thurs and be prepared to be kept in for a c-section at 39/40 weeks if baby is still transverse. I have been advised to dial 999 if my waters go (they went at 38 weeks with DS). The main concern with me is also the distance from the hospital as I have a 30 mile motorway trip to get there so they really want me close by just in case. Anyway, good luck with turning your baby. According to my midwife on Weds mine was head down but back to back so seems to have moved in the two days before my scan. Am therefore hoping she can jolly well move back again.

cece Sat 29-Aug-09 13:56:46

No idea but I was found to be transverse at 40 plus 2weeks as the check up.

I was told to go into hospital immediately if I went into labour as there is a high risk of the cord or placenta or something prolapsing? Sorry can't remember exactly what it was!

TigerFeet Sat 29-Aug-09 13:57:47

Hi Kathy

My MW thought my baby was transverse at 34ish weeks.

She's now head down at 38 weeks

I've been released back into community mw care unless she turns again

This is a good site for advice on positioning and techniques for turning babies Spinning babies

Good luck

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 13:58:46

Thanks all.
MsBrandyBuck - hope yours turns back again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now