Talk

Advanced search

Heartburn advice?

(6 Posts)
Stokey Fri 28-Aug-09 17:59:09

I've got really bad heartburn - burning my throat at 30 wks. Have eaten out for the last two nights so this prob hasn't helped

Have tried drinking mint tea, a yoghurt smoothie lots of water but not helping. Advice please?

blondiep14 Fri 28-Aug-09 18:01:47

The only thing that helped me even slightly was sitting up to sleep and gallons of Gaviscon.
Not fun. Am 21 weeks tomorrow and just starting to get it again sad.
I do remember it just vanishing as soon as I had DS tho if it's any consolation?!

lucya1980 Fri 28-Aug-09 19:21:58

avoid anything acidic or fizzy. Milky things are good as is loads of gaviscon. stay away from citrus juices and spicy foods. and as blondi says sitting up helps. if u take gaviscon, try not to follow it with anythng or it looses effectiveness, wait as long as u can or have a drink before u take it. Dont know if its just me, but i find the aniseed version better. Also branded gaviscon is not as thick as the shops own brands so get the real thing if u can, its easier to take!! hope it imporoves soon

lucky1979 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:00:59

Gaviscon. I've tried pretty much everything and it's the only thing that has helped. Although ice cream has a nice soothing effect

Poncherello Fri 28-Aug-09 20:51:40

My mum always said to have warm flat lemonade (!) somehow I never fancied it. Frappuccinos from Starbucks always seemed to help - cooling and soothing. Other than that, munched my way through countless packets of Rennies - fruit ones were nicer than the mint ones. Pregnancy yoga teacher recommended sleeping propped up with lots of pillows but I couldn't sleep well that way. Hope you find something that works ... blondiep14 is right, literally vanishes overnight when the baby arrives xx

beautifulgirls Fri 28-Aug-09 21:13:32

Gaviscon didn't work for me, but my doctor prescribed something called Maalox liquid (mint one) that was a dream for me - it is a similar idea to rennie and gaviscon etc, but they are all just a bit different how they work. You can just walk into a pharmacy and ask to buy it over the counter. I am using it again this pregnancy and on my 3rd bottle at 30 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now