Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long did your dc sleep in a crib?

(12 Posts)
Issy42 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:36:52

I can't fit a cot in my bedroom but would like to follow the advice to have baby in room with me until 6 months. I like the Snugglebeds (box thing that goes next to your pillow) but I think they only last about 4 months, so was going to get a crib (of the swinging/gliding variety not moses basket) but do they really last 6 months? Appreciate varies on baby size but just interested in other's experiences.

Also has anyone found a crib on wheels?

fishie Thu 27-Aug-09 20:39:05

mine slept in a moses basket for about 20 mins as a newborn. then into bed with us because it is the only way to get any decent sleep.

hairymelons Thu 27-Aug-09 20:42:59

Second fishie ! DS had outgrown his moses basket by about 8 weeks but always ended up in with us anyway- I'd fall asleep feeding him at some point and would wake up in the morning next to his lovely face.
We're getting a side-car type arrangement for the next one.

unluckyfriedkitten Thu 27-Aug-09 20:52:18

DS was about 9 months before we moved him into his cot...but then the crib we used is a massive old wicker bassinet from the 70's (that me & my brother slept in as babies).

lou031205 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:55:00

DD1 5.5 months
DD2 4 months
DD3 Co-sleeps

alana39 Fri 28-Aug-09 09:03:57

Both DSs slept in a gliding crib for about 7 months - they say they are safe to use until they can pull themselves up and mines were both lazy! Size wise they could have stayed in it longer, it's just the pulling up and upsetting it problem that limits it really.

magbags Fri 28-Aug-09 11:45:05

Our crib was quite narrow (standard Mothercare rocking one) which meant that dd kept hitting hands off the sides and waking herself and us up! For this reason she was only in it about 4 months and then into big cot where she slept much more soundly.

If buying again I would go for a wider style crib with plenty of space for little arms.smile

Scorps Fri 28-Aug-09 11:46:01

Have a look at a sleepi mini/cot

I have one, its on wheels and fits through standard door frames.

Scorps Fri 28-Aug-09 11:46:30

By Stokke

daisyj Fri 28-Aug-09 11:48:54

Same as magbags - and our 4-month-old was quite small too. Definitely worth getting a larger crib if you want them to be in it beyond 3-4 months.

Issy42 Fri 28-Aug-09 16:30:58

Thanks everyone. Seems I can't rely on a crib to last the 6 months then.

May go for an Amby Nest in that case - expensive but wouldn't have to buy a travel cot as well, so prob not much more than crib + mattress + travel cot. Just need to check out the spine support issue.

Thanks for your suggestion Scorps. I've seen those and think they're excellent but way out of my price range unfortunately.

weaselbudge Fri 28-Aug-09 19:01:26

I agree with Magbags - what matters is the width - if they can hit their arms on the side they will constantly wake themselves up. i had moses basket but ds always ended up in the bed until i borrowed my sisters stokke mini.

fwiw i moved ds into his own room after 3 months (not the recommended 6) and that worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now