Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

All day sickness leading to dehydration...feel rubbish

(11 Posts)
Scubes Wed 26-Aug-09 18:23:49

Hi

Am 7 weeks pregnant with no.2 and have a 2 yr old running around!

With first one I ended up in hospital with severe dehydration following sickness and I can see that happening again. With her I was sick every day for 4.5 months.

I can't keep any drinks down and everything tastes horrible. I have tried sipping water throughout the day but it comes straight back up.

I'm not brilliant at drinking anyway but I just feel so sick all the time. Back to work next week and can't see me managing it at all.

Any pearls of wisdom????

So desperate to feel a bit more human again.

ZippysMum Wed 26-Aug-09 18:25:57

Ice chips / ice cubes any good?
Sorry to hear you are feeling rotten.

GoldenSnitch Wed 26-Aug-09 18:40:38

Have you tried those accupressure wrist bands to try and take the edge off the sickness?

I was sick to 20 weeks with my first pregnancy and found that the bands helped enough for me to eat a little.

Ice lollies - whatever you fancy but the fruit juice ones for me - helped and seemed to be easier to keep down than glasses of water.

Mints too. There is a theory that MS is caused by your sense of smell going into overdrive - the mints mask everything to help you feel less nauseous

GoldenSnitch Wed 26-Aug-09 18:41:55

Ooh, and I was once told fizzy drinks can help settle your stomach - sounds mad but it did seem to work

roary Wed 26-Aug-09 20:48:50

Hi there
I am also pregnant with no 2 (and grumbling about cyclizine on another thread).

I am able to keep down smoothies, which give you some nutrition. I think the rule is to eat whatever you think you can keep down, even if it's something totally random and unhealthy. Gum helps a bit for me.

I was sick last time till 19 weeks and am dreading it happening again. GP has given me drugs, which might be an idea for you...

ROary

GoldenSnitch Wed 26-Aug-09 21:00:18

My MS stopped at a far more normal 14 weeks this time if that helps you guys feel better?

Meglet Wed 26-Aug-09 21:09:32

I was on ice cubes when I was pg with DD last year, but after a call to NHS I discovered you need quite a few to keep hydrated. The GP gave me Avomine travel sickness pills which made me drowsy and I needed some help with my toddler but I was able to get food + water in me again.

Scubes Thu 27-Aug-09 07:16:12

Thanks ladies,

some ideas there that haven't been mentioned before.

I used wrist bands last time....hmmm wonder where I put them?!!!

Have been sucking mint imperials to death

Will send hubby out for gum and smoothies later! Have also been eating mini milk lollies but I think that's just an excuse to harp back to my childhood and nothing to do with relieving sickness.

I have an underactive thyroid as well and need to have my bloods done as I don't think that's helping as my toddler just seems to see me with my eyes closed constantly.

Had a rich tea biccie this morning and am feeling slightly more human than I did yesterday.

Hope it improves for everyone xx

Pinkmumma Thu 27-Aug-09 07:38:36

Hi I feel for you!! With ds I was sick for whole nine months plus a few weeks after birth so when it started again with this pregnancy (40+3) I was extremly depressed! However it passed this time and I have had no sickness from about 24 weeks! It was much more intense second time lost about a stone and a half but it got better. I say this to give you some encouragement that it may be different to last time. I wish I had a magic cure as I know how awful it is esp when you have a toddler running around.

Hope it gets easier soon

rumpleteaser Fri 28-Aug-09 12:42:02

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I'm 6 weeks and 5 days into my first pregnancy.
I have had nonstop ms so far. All the women I speak to are very unhelpful and say 'oh you've got months to go yet' and 'you're boobs will hurt even more soon'..

WIll travel sickness pills work?
I hope I'm not hijacking someones thread, I'm just also very desperate for this to stop, even a little!!

Think my fella thinks I'm just using it as an excuse to be a lazy cow.

GoldenSnitch Fri 28-Aug-09 16:59:05

I wouldn't take travel sickness pills without checking with the doc as I'm not sure theyre safe.

There are some tablets he can give you to ease it though. I had them but managed to not use them in the end.

Try some of the suggestions here first though - wrist bands, ice lollies, mints, dry biscuits before you get out of bed, sips of water... My doctor always told me that the pills should be a last resort as the fewer drugs you can put in your system while pregnant the better...

Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now