Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can i take Zantac for acid reflux ?

(5 Posts)
tink08 Wed 26-Aug-09 10:47:06

Hi i've had terrible heartburn since i found out i was pregnant ( 27 weeks now )
A friend of mine suggested it was acid reflux instead of heartburn because i actually burp all the time and bring acid up !
Anyway i asked the pharmacist what to take and she suggested Zantac relief tablets . They are a miracle cure i took one yesterday with my evening meal and had the best nights sleep for months and i'm still not belching this morning .
However i read the leaflet and it does'nt say you can't take them if pregnant but it does say to check with your gp/midwife if you are pregnant .
Does anyone know if these are ok to take ? i rang the pharmacists this morning and she seems to think that Zantac or something similar would be what my gp would presribe anyway hmm
Anyone any experience on this ?

sausagesupper Wed 26-Aug-09 10:51:00

So far as I know, only gaviscon is safe for pregnancy. If you ask doctor, you can get it on prescription in a huge bottle, you will need this, as it's relaly expensive to buy. Heartburn is a nightmare, I speak from experience, both pregnancies I went round with my gaviscon always on hand

brettgirl2 Wed 26-Aug-09 11:08:47

A doctor would prescribe either Zantac/Rinitidine or Omeprazole. Please don't worry it's fine but I would deffo see doctor rather than self medicating.

I took Omeprazole throughout my pregnancy which is actually more effective anyway. Gaviscon unfortunately doesn't even touch mine!

mrswee Wed 26-Aug-09 12:58:36

I used to take Zantac/Rinitidine prescribed by my doctor Pre pregnancy for stomach problems.

My doctor then advised me for heartburn in pregnancy to try and stick with Gaviscon but she said she would re-prescribe Zantac/Rinitidine as a last resort if Gaviscon didn't work.

bubblesincambridge Wed 26-Aug-09 16:15:46

Don't know about Zantac, but Gaviscon is definitely OK - it says so on the packet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now