Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Errosion in Cervix - very worried

(16 Posts)
LEMONADEGIRL Wed 26-Aug-09 09:38:31

I am 12 weeks pregnant approx and have been having some bloody distcharge for two days. Have just been to the doctors to see what they think and they have given me an internal examination.

Doctor told me that the cervix was closed but that there was a slight errosion on the cervix.

He tried to reassure me but to be honest am terrified of what it all means.

Has anyone else had this and if so did everything go okay?

Thanks

RustyBear Wed 26-Aug-09 09:44:09

I had this in both my pregnancies - and at other times too - & had no problems at all.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Wed 26-Aug-09 09:48:06

Message withdrawn

LEMONADEGIRL Wed 26-Aug-09 09:54:01

thanks ladies. I think it is hard to see blood and not panic a bit - well for me anyway being a born worrier.

I have generally been more anxious in the pregnancy and have been expecting something to go wrong.

Really appreciate your replies. I have my first scan tomorrow so will relax a bit once have seen the heartbeat too.

PootleTheFlump Wed 26-Aug-09 11:41:28

I had bleeding early on and at 16-18 weeks which they put down to erosion. Was never linked to sex (though they always hinted it was) and haven't had any bleeding at all for 10+ weeks now. It is so scary when it happens, but your cervix being closed is a good sign. Good luck for your scan tomorrow.

Mouette Wed 26-Aug-09 12:22:23

I had bleeding in the first trimester in both my pregnancies and it was due to cervix erosion as well. It was fine - it's relatively common and whilst the bleeding scares the s* out of you it is harmless. It is nothing to do with the cervix opening. Mc due to a weak cervix are very rare and are not normally accompanied by bleeding (I had one, in the second trimester of my first pregnancy, it was nothing to do with the bleeding).

wasabipeanut Wed 26-Aug-09 14:00:00

Oh don't worry please - I had this and bled on and off all through my 2nd trimester with DS. It is shit scary - especially when you see fresh blood, but cervical erosions are harmless. I believe there is a link to prolonged use of the pill but I'm not 100% sure. It would fit in my case as I was on the pill for yonks prior to concieving DS.

My cervix remained closed until past my due date (I'm not kidding - I had to be induced) and the bleeding just stopped in my third tri as suddenly as it started.

I am 17 weeks pg again now and interestingly don't seem to be having a recurrence of the problem.

ShowOfHands Wed 26-Aug-09 14:04:14

It's common and not a worry at all usually. Had the same thing but yes the blood is frightening. Normal pg otherwise, dd born fit and well at 39 weeks.

Try and see it as a good thing that they have found the reason for the blood as you can reassure yourself where it is coming from and tell yourself it's nothing to do with the baby. Many women bleed for no obvious reason.

Come back and tell us all about your scan.

bubblesincambridge Wed 26-Aug-09 16:13:41

I've had one since my early 20s (I'm now 42). I think they are quite common so I wouldn't worry about it.

LEMONADEGIRL Wed 26-Aug-09 20:44:26

Thank you all for your lovely reassuring comments.

I just assumed the worst but I do tend to panic first. The doctor was really great and helpful as I lay there crying on the examination table. I did have to laugh though when he couldn't get a good enough view and had to go and get a torch as wellgrin

to see the heart beat tomorrow

fairimum Wed 26-Aug-09 21:33:10

I had this - was told it was due to some women having some of the cells that are normally on the inside of the cervix on the outside and is these cells that cause the bleeding, said anything from sex, to jogging to just stepping oversomething can cause them to be knocked and start bleeding, nothing to do with the pregnancy at all!

good luck with scan

LuluMaman Wed 26-Aug-09 21:35:48

had one in my first pregnancy and all was well

please, please be reassured, it is nothing sinister or dangerous

you migth well notice a bit more bleeding after sex.

if you have a proper , frank loss of blood, clots and / or pain , then go back to the GP or MW, but a little bit of spotting etc is to be expected with an erosion

JemL Wed 26-Aug-09 22:42:02

I have this also, and ended up in the day unit following bleeding after sex.

A lot of Dr's and midwives call it another name - I think it is Cervical Ectropian - because the word "erosion" freaks people out unecessarily - it makes it sound like there is something wrong with your cervix when it is actually very normal.

4andnotout Wed 26-Aug-09 22:44:39

I have had this before and carried 4 babies without any problems

AcademicMum Wed 26-Aug-09 22:52:40

I have this too. I think it is probably genetic as once I mentioned it to my mum she told me she'd had the same problem as well. You should get checked out whenever you have bleeding just in case it is something more, but at least you know that chances are all is fine. With ds2 I had really, really heavy bleeding at 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 13 weeks and 26 weeks (clots and all - sorry) and yet it was fine, but really scary.

I too am a born worrier and really envy those who sail through pregnancy without a care, but at the end of the day, despite the panicking, and frequent trips to the hospital, I have 2 healthy boys as proof that bleeding does not always spell the worst.

Good luck for your scan.

PinkTulips Wed 26-Aug-09 22:54:05

Definitely had this with ds1 as i had a smear at 20 weeks (whole other story) and the doc mentioned it and the damn smear was invalid due to the bleeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now