Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone used an independent midwife or doula for a hospital birth

(9 Posts)
angfirsttimer Tue 25-Aug-09 16:14:22

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone had used an IM or doula in hospital? not very confident about my local maternity ward and want the comfort of having someone there throughout. I want to be in hospital so have the option of the decent pain relief!

daxibaby Wed 26-Aug-09 14:22:05

Hi
What area are you and what hospital (if you are planning hospital birth) are you planning on going to?
x

PeasPlease Wed 26-Aug-09 17:06:52

I used private midwives from www.birthcentre.com for a hospital birth. I can't recommend it enough, especially for the after care such as help with breastfeeding.

craftynclothy Wed 26-Aug-09 17:12:45

Hi,

Generally speaking (thought there are exceptions) Independent Midwives can't work in an NHS hospital because they aren't covered by the insurance.

I used an IM as I was planning a homebirth. I ended up having to transfer in to hospital during labour and got much better care than my previous birth. For me the other benefit of an IM is the fantastic antenatal and postnatal care - far more visits then the nhs give and I generally felt better informed of my choices.

If you are just wanting extra support during labour then I'd say go for a doula cos it's much cheaper.

PeasPlease Wed 26-Aug-09 18:25:05

Oh yes, sorry, I should have remembered that! Private midwives don't actually 'work' when they are in the NHS hospital but it is amazing having them there and the doctors don't interfere with you much.

The area I live in now has no local IMs so I am going to go with a doula this time I reckon.

pecanpie Wed 26-Aug-09 18:32:57

I think it's just good to have a second person to hand to promote your interests, especially if they have more idea of the medical side. I had a doula last time and am considering doing the same because I'm extra anxious about after having had 2 miscarriages in the past year. Having said that, I also had the most amazing midwife who got me through labour and would have delivered my baby if I hadn't needed doctorly help (ventouse - baby a bit stuck).

angfirsttimer Fri 28-Aug-09 11:23:24

Thanks ladies, I am in Chelmsford and St Johns hospital has mixed reviews, most people say they are just too busy which is why I want to make sure I dont get left without any support. I know IM's are much more expensive but I was comforted by the idea that even if they cant actually do anything medically they have more knowledge.

childrenchildreneverywhere Fri 28-Aug-09 22:15:02

Hi, Just to say that I am a doula in Essex and there are definitely IMs who cover your area! (one in Harlow and two in Braintree spring to mind), however she would just act as a doula at the birth (but you'd get the benefit of antenatal care and postnatal). I've not been at a hospital birth at St. John's but I've been at a homebirth with their midwives who were wonderful and very appreciative of having me there. Go for it!

childrenchildreneverywhere Fri 28-Aug-09 22:16:14

oops sorry, should have read properly, it was PP who said there were no IMs in her area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now