Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else getting killer headaches? Have you found anything that helps??

(14 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 25-Aug-09 13:55:04

For the last several weeks I keep getting terrible headaches - at least every other day usually. Got one today from the moment I woke up and it still hasn't gone! I seem to remember having a headachy phase last time round as well for several weeks. Combined with feeling sick and shaky on and off, and being really stressed about various things going on (oh and looking after a toddler!), I am really not enjoying pregnancy at the moment. Still only just 16 weeks too, so ages to go yet...

Has anyone else had (or still having) the same? And especially did you find anything that helped? I take paracetamol when it is particularly bad but it really doesn't seem to do much sad and nothing else seems to make a big difference so far.

makingafamily Tue 25-Aug-09 14:12:24

Hi. I'm 15 weeks and have had this for about 3 weeks. Have seen the GP and told to take 2 paracetmol 4 x a day, which i dont like doing so just pop 2 as soon as feel one coming on. Sorry not much help

MrsVik Tue 25-Aug-09 15:13:48

Yup, I have had this too - usually turning into a migraine before it's over, and usually ending when I throw up.

Only things I could recommend are to avoid stress, get plenty of fresh air and try not to strain your eyes. Those things help keep them at bay, sometimes. Once I have one though, the best thing I've found is a couple of paracetamol and bed. Not an option for everyone, I know.

Hang on in there!

alana39 Tue 25-Aug-09 15:34:37

Ice packs on the head. Had terrible headaches that paracetamol didn't touch from about 12 to 20 weeks, and ice was the only thing that relieved it. Difficult when at work / cooking / running after a toddler but had just enough effect for the following 10-15 minutes that I just about managed.

Joy27 Tue 25-Aug-09 15:42:15

I get this too... it's horrid. The only thing that really helped was taking a couple of days off work and resting completely. Rest is so important- have you got any family nearby who could look after your toddler for a day so you can stay in bed/on sofa? I found that I didn't get a headache for at least a week (whoopee doo hmm) after taking a proper break.

Also my doc has prescribed some paracetomol suppositories (to be inserted up the bum blush), because I was vomiting after taking paracetomol. Plus I found swallowing pills made me feel more nauseous. I have also heard that it works more quickly and effectively that way.

Having said that, I haven't had the guts to use them yet!

Abubu Tue 25-Aug-09 15:51:03

Hi,

I am currently only 5 weeks pregnant and have had a constant headache since yesterday afternoon, however I suspect it may be a virus rather than pregnancy related.

I find that pregnant or not, I tend to get headaches if I have not had enough sleep. Are you getting your 8 hours?

SIM78 Tue 25-Aug-09 17:05:56

Hi Ladies
I am 6 weeks pregent with my third baby and had killer mirgraines with the 1st baby. I am had a mirgraine every other day since I found out i was pregenant oh the joy of pregenancy with the addedd morning sickeness and two under five's in tow. Why do we ladies do it to ourselves.
I have completely cut my caffine out to one cup of tea a day 2 lts of water oh and not forgetting my ever trusted 4head stick which i cannot live with out and sleep when ever you can. 4head is my saviour its helps take the edge of and is safe for you when pregenant. Hope our suffering is not for much longer. take care

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 25-Aug-09 19:46:10

Thanks all, some good tips there hopefully - I will def try the icepack and 4head as not tried those yet!

Sadly trying to get more sleep or a rest is probably impossible right now, we have to move out of our house soon and are still looking for somewhere to move to as well as packing for the move, so it's all very busy and stressful right now, which probably isn't helping. But we are off on holiday in 2 weeks so that will at least be a temporary break!

Neeko Tue 25-Aug-09 20:20:11

I second the 4head stuff. It's ace. Also the cool and soothe migraine relief patches work the same as an icepack but stick to your forehead and last 6 hours. Not glam but at least you can wander around the house with them on and do all the stuff that no one else will do you have to do. Remember, this too will pass smile

tink08 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:52:42

Hi ladies i had these headaches from around 7-17 weeks . I ended up in hospital as i was beginning to feel very ill . I had my eyes tested and i needed a very slight prescription which helped slightly but my consultant prescribed cocodomol and said it was fine to take during pregnancy .
I only took it when i really needed it but it did do the job and i figured it was better for me to feel ok rather than stressing , grumpy and not eating properly due to bad headache's smile
Anyway seems like it was just one of those things and they passed around the 17/18 week mark .
Hope you all feel ok and get some respite sad

FifiForgot Tue 25-Aug-09 21:51:47

I am also suffering from terrible migraines. They started pretty much as soon as I fell pregnant and still haven't totally gone (currently 17 weeks). My GP prescribed co-codomol, like Tink08 which is OK to take in pregnancy, but I only ever take them when I really have to.

I found that rest helped, going to bed at the first sign, or as soon as I could and sleeping. Fresh air is always good and keeping fluid levels up also helped.

I ended up having 5 weeks off work to try and help combat the headaches, although I've only been back to work and week and they are back so I'm back to the GP to see what she suggests. Hopefully they will pass soon.

I hope you feel better soon.

Mummygoesohh Tue 25-Aug-09 23:03:36

I suffered headaches when i was pregnant. My MW suggested i might not be drinking enough, so i upped my water intake and it really helped.
Also, apparently your ear lobes have some sort of pressure point that helps get rid of headaches, so i tried massaging my earlobes. It helped me- though i'm still non the wiser as to why!
Hope you feel better soon.

thehuntress Wed 26-Aug-09 09:09:51

In my last pregnancy when I got these I used the Migra-Cap. If you do a google search it should show up. It worked very good at relieving pain.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 26-Aug-09 09:18:27

I've been getting them - woke up with an awful one today (24 weeks). They seem to be worse when I've had a really busy day the previous day and not drunk as much. Paracetamol do help but I don't like taking too many.

I have found that facial/head pressure point massage helps. I've had a couple done professionally and they're great but obviously time/money is an issue. The therapist showed me a few pointers last time so I can do some myself or, even better, get dh to do it. A lot of it is caused by nasal congestion so pressing around the top of the nose, eyebrows, cheekbones etc can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now