Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does this sound like SPD or have I pulled something?

(16 Posts)
kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 15:26:21

I'm 33 weeks pg.
I slipped over last Thur (basically I skidded on a bit of paper on the floor and nearly did the splits) and since then I've had discomfort/pain in my pubic area, especially when I move after sitting still for a bit. The worst is changing position in bed.
I would assume it was just a pulled muscle or torn ligament or something [completely ignorant of biology] except that it feels different - like downward pressure rather than something being strained.
It hasn't got much better or worse since Thur, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what it might be - mainly because I'm thinking, if it's a pulled muscle or something it will probably get better, if SPD it would most likely get worse!

thanks smile

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 17:16:47

bump

arolf Mon 24-Aug-09 17:19:46

I've had the same thing since last sunday - and it's just getting worse I asked on here, and was told it was probably spd, but am going to ask the midwife on wednesday just to be sure (and once I've got past the ludicrous swelling fingers and headaches bit which has just come on in the last 2 days - PE maybe?)

hope your ache gets better!

littlenamelessunrememberedacts Mon 24-Aug-09 17:21:35

arofl if you have oedema and headaches you should try and see somebody SOON, not wait for your next appt IMO

I had severe PE and ended up being induced 6 weeks early

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 17:25:01

Thanks Arolf.
Agree with Littlenameless - I would probably at least talk to a mw about the swelling and headaches asap if I were you.

This was from a random pregnancy site:
'Swollen fingers during pregnancy can be a sign of high blood pressure and as such, should be reported to your doctor. She will take your blood pressure reading and determine if the swelling is normal fluid retention or if there is reason to begin a course of action to reduce the pressure. If there are other symptoms such as blurred vision, puffy face or severe headaches, you must call your doctor immediately. Also tell her if the swelling is not relieved by rest, if it is more than slight, and if you have swelling in other parts of your body.'

arolf Mon 24-Aug-09 17:30:52

yup, phoned GP who told me to phone MW, couldn't get hold of my MW, so spoke to the community MW coordinator (or whatever her job title is) who told me to wait until wednesday as that's my next appt.

it's too late this evening to speak to anyone else I think, so may try them again tomorrow. not sure what else to do really.

littlenamelessunrememberedacts Mon 24-Aug-09 17:32:53

that sounds a bit irresponsible of them <worry>

I don't like the sound of swelling and headaches

how do you feel about turning up at A&E?

I was admitted within about 15 seconds when I told a MW I had sweeling fingers and a blinding headache

watch out for flashy lights or visual disturbances with your headache

arolf Mon 24-Aug-09 17:37:59

headache has mainly gone - the thing is, I always get headaches when I'm tired, and haven't slept much recently, so thought it must be that. i'm looking out for any visual disturbances though, and DP is being very cautious and worried any time I mention any symptoms! I will see how I feel tomorrow, as, like I say, it's too late to talk to GP or MW this evening.

will keep A+E in mind, thanks for the concern!

littlenamelessunrememberedacts Mon 24-Aug-09 17:41:34

ok, well, don't be a hero - if you start to feel worse, get yerself down there and make a fuss! grin

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 17:43:13

good that you are looking out for other symptoms smile
Let us know how it goes with mw on Wed.

ReneRusso Mon 24-Aug-09 17:45:04

OP, does sound very much like SPD but probably exacerbated by your fall. As I remember, for me SPD started a lot earlier than 33 weeks. Could you get referred to a physio to check it out? Thankfully you don't have too long to go now. If it is SPD it often clears up as soon as you deliver.

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 24-Aug-09 17:48:20

Sounds like SPD. Mine came back when DD1 was 8 weeks old after doing the same thing - owww. Ask your midwife or GP to refer you to physio as it will probably not get better til baby is born.

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 17:49:30

Rene, that makes sense.... so not an either/or situation then....
I'm seeing the consultant on Thur (about hyperemesis) so if it's worse by then I'll ask about it.
Most of the people I know who've had it also started much earlier, so hopefully it won't have time to get as bad as it did with them.

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 24-Aug-09 17:49:41

Forgot to say - it is worth searching spd on her as there are lots of useful threads on things that help. The main thing is to keep your knees together when turning in bed.

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 17:57:00

Thanks Chewytoffeemum. Will have a search.

JRocks Mon 24-Aug-09 18:00:19

sounds like SPD to me

And arolf, please try and see someone as soon as possible - pre-eclampsia is bloody awful and needs to be diagnosed and treated immediately. <worrying too>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now