Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby movement

(11 Posts)
Vikelm Sun 23-Aug-09 17:39:19

Hi everyone - this is my first post on this forum!

I am 19 weeks and a couple of days pregnant with our first child, and have felt the baby move (well, more like flutter) since about week 16.

The movements I am feeling don't seem to be getting any stronger than just flutters though, and a few women on a different website who are as far gone as me describe their babies' movement as proper kicks.

I'd dearly love to feel a proper big kick, and to have my partner be able to feel it too when he puts his hand on my tummy.

I have my 20 week scan in a couple of days, so I'll bring it up with my doctor then, but I was wondering when you starting to feel the bigger kicks?

Thanks to all who reply!

MrsBadger Sun 23-Aug-09 18:14:36

with my first pregnancy I just got twinges and flutters for ages.
The first time the movements were big enough for DH to feel with his hand on my bump was the day before the 20wk scan.
So long as you are feeling somethign you know everything is ok, so don't worry, and don;t wish for big kicks any sooner than you have to - wait till you're getting a heel in the ribs every 5min and you'll wish yourself back to the 'flutter' stage...

brightonbleach Sun 23-Aug-09 18:23:10

every pregnancy is different - but I would say be careful what you wish for!!! Before you know it you'll be kept awake all night with massive punches like me - I was wondering when I'd feel proper major movement when I was 20 weeks, & am 30weeks now and never get proper sleep... my DH is still yet to feel it though, its like baby plays a game! I say "Quick!" and he puts his hands on and baby goes completely still, little bugger..... Even if DH rubs my belly for an hour the baby doesn't move - I've told DH the bubba must find it soothing now, but hoefully before the end comes he will feel it kicking sometime...!

enjoy grin

DailyMailCanLickMyBalls Sun 23-Aug-09 18:24:20

My internal twinges began at 21 weeks with my first pregnancy, and the first time DP could feel it was at just before 23 weeks. Now, at 24, it won't stop wriggling! So mine seem to have started quite a bit later than many people's, but the baby's certainly making up for lost time now.

CantThinkofFunnyName Sun 23-Aug-09 18:26:29

Vikelm I am 19 weeks too with my 3rd pregnancy. I have felt movements/flutters since 12 weeks (!) but they haven't progressed very much really. This past week I have felt more for sure, but they are not yet full kicks, just movements. As other posters say, be careful what you wish for. It will come but just enjoy the gentle stuff for now!

difficultdecision Sun 23-Aug-09 19:30:53

Hi, I was 20 weeks when I could first feel flutters and it wasn't proper kicks that DH could feel until 23/24 weeks.

This time I have been feeling flutters occasionally since about 13 weeks and am now 17+6. Still no proper kicks and DH certainly wouldn't be able to feel anything

MrsVik Sun 23-Aug-09 19:39:30

(have changed my nickname since posting the original post - this is the OP here!)

THANK-YOU! To everyone who replied. I feel reassured now, and I get the hint - I should count my blessings that I'm getting an easy ride right now!

(although I'm still looking forward to my first kick, lol)

Southwestwhippet Sun 23-Aug-09 23:08:32

Hey I am 18+5 with first and felt first movement tonight. Well first movement where I was confident it was the baby at any rate. Def just a flutter. So you def felt your baby WAY before i did. grin

Looking forward to the first kick too (although maybe not the 31st...)wink

lucky1979 Mon 24-Aug-09 11:12:52

brightonbleach - my LO did that as well for weeks, until my DH put his ear to my stomach to see if he could hear her heartbeat and she promptly kicked him right in the ear grin

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Mon 24-Aug-09 11:22:54

With my first, I was wearing a smooth top at a meeting at work (IT company, so all young (i.e. non-fathers) geek men), and DD decided it would be a great time to have a wiggle. Cue dead silence in the room as everyone there stares in horrified fascination at the alien-like protuberances writhing across my tum.

skorpion Mon 24-Aug-09 11:50:18

mrsvik congratulations! I'm just 26 weeks gone with my first and have been feeling more movement since about week 21-22. DH only felt her about three weeks ago. No proper kickboxing yet, just moving around. So don't worry, it will come. And when it does it is the best feeling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now