Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone have experience of "mobile" epidural ?

(12 Posts)
eightisseventoomany Sun 23-Aug-09 12:15:29

Im considering having one....as id like to beable to still sit upright on the bed or kneel beside the bed....so labour can progress better.......

but wondered if they are good/effective..
and what the pro's / cons' / embarrasments etc are ?

Only ever had 1 epidural.....wasnt a mobile one though....but son was born within 15 mins of anethetist getting to me anyways.....
so never even got time to work !!! angry

so have no real experience of them ....
wondered what your thoughts are ???

expecting twins (32+3)

CantThinkofFunnyName Sun 23-Aug-09 12:18:57

I had one with DC2 - but think "mobile" is a bit of a myth. Couldn't move about or anything as once you have the epidural, they like to keep you monitored anyway. Well, they did in my case. I had full blown epidural with DC1 and again, monitored throughout.

The only advantage I found with the mobile one was that I could still feel sensations like contractions and baby coming down, but NO PAIN whatsoever. With the full blown one, I couldn't feel a thing.

Still think they're great - who needs pain anyway?

eightisseventoomany Sun 23-Aug-09 14:29:38

Thanks CantThink.....

Doesnt sound too bad at all grin

hear lots of women saying it slows down labour if you have to be horizontal....?

so dont mind being monitored...as long as dont have to lie down....

not expecting to still beable to walk around wards or anything......just hoping if I opt for one...I can still sit up, kneel up ??

yet be pain free....

the thought of a pain free easy labour is making me smile

never had one of THOSE before ..hehe

roxy12 Sun 23-Aug-09 20:05:17

I swear by epidural....i loved haveing it.

I was sat up in the bed and was pushing and when i asked to go on all fours they said no because i had an epidural.

i did go on all fours in the end because i could feel my legs.

the affect is different on different people.

good luck.

designerbaby Sun 23-Aug-09 20:38:05

I had an epidural last time... ended up on it for 12 hours so quite a bit of time to experience it! Was able to move around, get myself to the loo etc. with no problems. Was a bit wobbly and couldn't really feel my legs but was in control of them and was hip-wiggling through the whole 12 hours as I desperately tried to avoid a c-section. Ella Fitzgerald helped...

I wasn't given a choice about (wasn't in any fit state to make one TBH) but maybe think it's just the way it worked out for me - but definitely worth investigating.

Most bloody marvelous thing ever invented IMHO - prior to it I had had one long contraction which lasted 4 hours straight and was rapidly going insane and screaming that I was going to die! (Had been induced and my body did not like it one little bit.)

I think I may have proposed to the anaethetist. She may have been a woman...

db
xx

sleepingcat Mon 24-Aug-09 11:30:07

I had one with DD. It was great, I could walk around albeit slowly, use the loo, sit, lie, what ever.
I'd love one this time but they don't offer them at my new hospital.
The epidural wore off just when it came to pushing which was great.
My labour was about 7hours long which was very good considering DD was back to back.
Highly recommended by me!

liahgen Mon 24-Aug-09 11:34:08

mumslady are you going to West Middx by any chance?

I had mobile there, was fab, could walk about, go to loo, (except right at end for weeing)birthed kneeling over back of bed

Completely recommend. Haven't been to a hospital since that offers it though.

eightisseventoomany Mon 24-Aug-09 11:39:00

lol.....

proposing to anaethetist grin

thanks for making me smile this morning

desperate times call for desperate measures

should I offer a lottery win to everyone who just does what I say grin grin

I feel very crap today !!....
had a terrible night last night....didnt sleep a wink....through discomfort/heartburn/toilet visits/ sickness & headache.
so all my boys slept with oh....whilst I sweated/tossed & turned all night in ds's bed !!!!

(sweating due to his bed having plastic bed protectors on everything!!)
which is sooooo uncomfortable.....but i thought....great should my waters go grin

hoping my babies come after 1st sept...but before 6th sept....
that way....they get the next school year......but i dont have to suffer too much longer !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your stories fellow sufferers

all helps towards making the right decision
xxxx

eightisseventoomany Mon 24-Aug-09 11:43:51

Hi Liahgen...
Im in kent....and will be either at PRUH (farnborough-princess Royal)

or Pembury.....

we drove past Pembury hosp....2 weeks ago....& saw it was being rennovated...
(was such an old victorian building.....but heard the staff there were fab)

So hoping there is a new maternity wing..(thats completed !!)
and I may go there....
as had bad experiences at PRUH !!

Sounds like you had a good birth liahgen .....

liahgen Mon 24-Aug-09 11:52:39

Hi mums I doula at both of those hospitals and yes they are very lovely at Pembury. (note to your birth partners, cafe closes at 3.15pm and no shop) Tesco is 5 mins away though.

Pruh is nice too.

Not sure either offer completely mobile epi though, at least not in my expereince.

Yes that was prob my nicest birth, (was my 3rd) next 2 were not so nice sadly, am hoping no 6 will make up for it.

eightisseventoomany Mon 24-Aug-09 12:18:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eightisseventoomany Mon 24-Aug-09 12:31:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now