Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should you have a dating scan

(8 Posts)
Gangle Sat 22-Aug-09 18:22:13

I'm pregnant but until this week was unsure of my dates as haven't had periods for over 2 years and no idea when I conceived. Saw GP who was supposed to book me in for a dating scan in the next 48 hours and said to call the ante-natal dept to chase up if I hadn't heard. That was about a month ago so I phoned up about 2 weeks back and they said they would be writing to me with a date for the scan. Finally got the letter a few days ago and the scan isn't until 8th September. In the meantime, I decided I needed to make plans and wanted a EDD so had a private scan this week which made me 9 weeks. So, the NHS can will be when I'm almost 12 weeks and needing the nuchal fold test etc. Will they do that at the scan or will I have to book another and, if so, will there be time given that there is a limited time period within which to do the test? Also, the hospital where the scan is booked is not the one I want to go to to give birth etc.

Gangle Sat 22-Aug-09 18:23:00

sorry, terrible typing!

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 18:24:58

Most hostpital offer scans at 12 and 20 weeks.

Don't worry about it not being the hostpital you want to give birth at, I was able to change my mind right up to the last minute.

Gangle Sat 22-Aug-09 18:27:32

even dating scans Lynette? I understood from the GP that it would be carried out asap or by 8 weeks at the latest otherwise they don't know when to do the nuchal fold test etc.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 19:00:13

What is supposed to happen, and what the hostpital actually gets it's arse into gear about are two different things.

I don't know about nuchal fold tests (I always stuck my head in the sand about things like that)

Hopefully some one will come along soon who does.

difficultdecision Sat 22-Aug-09 19:11:46

Well you don't need a dating scan anymore since you now know you are 9 weeks (congratulations) and usually if at a dating scan you are found to be at the right dates for nuchal scanning (11 weeks to 13 weeks 6 days) they will do it there and then.

To reassure yourself why not call the number on the letter and update them with the details that you now know you will be 12 weeks at the scan and will they be able to do the nuchal?

Congratulations.

designerbaby Sat 22-Aug-09 20:12:38

Gangle - In my (limited) experience – my own and NCT friends – the first scan is usually at 12 weeks unless there's a problem or a history of problems.

If they offer nuchal scan as standard (which not all hospitals do, so you might want to check) then they'll do it at the 12 week scan - which is therefore usually dating and nuchal in one. 12 weeks is the ideal time for nuchal which needs to happen between 11 and 14 weeks if I'm not much mistaken.

If I were you, then I'd have the scan wherever, but try and swap your care to the hospital you want to give birth in soon after. If all is well there will generally be quite a hefty gap twixt your scan/booking appt anyway, so you might as well make the switch then - you can swap anytime, as Lynette said, but it can be nice to have some continuity of care IMHO.

I agree that since you had no idea of your dates then an earlier scan might have been useful so they didn't inadvertantly miss the window for the nuchal scan (if they do it) but since you've had one privately and your NHS scan date works out perfectly I wouldn't worry too much.

I know it feels very much like you're pretty much ignored by the medical profession in the early months - it's such a momentous thing to happen to you and they don't seem that interested!

FWIW, because I have a long cycle (which I tried to tell my GP about but which they chose to ignore - again!) my '12 week' scan ended up being only 9 weeks and therefore too early for nuchal (which is offered as standard at the hospital I'm with) but they rebooked me at a better time (13 weeks in my case) on the spot, so it wasn't a problem.

But in your case "everything appears to be in order" so I'd try not to worry! In general, the less appintments you have, the better you can assume things are going!? hmm.

Good luck,

db
xx

Gangle Mon 24-Aug-09 14:34:34

thanks all. Suppose I feel a bit let down as the GP had said I would have the dating scan in the next 48 hours and it's now weeks later. Yes, I am only 9 weeks and the scan date given will work out but that's only by chance - I could be 20 weeks for all they know as noone has checked. Why bother calling it a dating scan, why just not say you'll have a scan whenever we get around to booking it which may or may not be around 12 weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now