Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Think I've got a water infection will it wait until Monday?

(13 Posts)
alibobins Sat 22-Aug-09 14:42:12

Urine sample on thursday showed white blood cells and protein but as I had no symptoms they sent the sample off to the lab.
Today got really low pain in my pubic area and feel like I need a wee all the time but not alot is coming out.
I'm 21 weeks

weegiemum Sat 22-Aug-09 14:45:20

If you are pg, then you musn't wait till Monday.

Get in touch with your midwives or call out of hours. You probably need antibiotics, and UTI in pregnancy can cause a few complications - so you need to start treatment asap.

Also - lots of water, and lay off any cranberry etc now as it affects the way that antibiotics work.

Hoep you feel better soon!

(ps I am speaking form experience here I had a chronic bladder/kidney condition in 2 of my pregnancies!)

GuernseyFrench Sat 22-Aug-09 14:46:30

I personally will not wait til Monday.
I suffer often from water infections and if you have one, it'll be a real nightmare.
Go to A&E and get it sorted quickly.
Good luck

LadyGooGoo Sat 22-Aug-09 14:46:56

Could try a few doses of sodium citrate this afternoon to see if you can relieve symptoms a bit - know my surgery only has morning appts at weekend so would be A&E trip otherwise sad

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 14:48:32

No it will NOT wait!

I had the wame thing at 23 weeks, amd ignored it. I ended up on an IV drip, in agony.

alibobins Sat 22-Aug-09 14:49:12

Doctors not open at weekends sad I could try NHS Direct.

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 14:50:35

walk in centre or out of hours GP service. Alternatively given that you are pg you could try the maternity unit - for advice if nothing else. I have had ABs prescribed by the labour ward SHO/Registrar before. Was a pain because I had to sit around and wait for them to bring them from teh pharmacy (was a weekend). You can't take hispital prescriptions to a high street pharmacist.

As you are pg you need ABs. As Weegie says it can cause complications in pregnancy - including premature labour - which at 21 weeks you most definately do not want.

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 14:51:47

Ali - there will be an out of hours service near you somewhere. Have you got a walk in centre nearby that is attended by a GP?

weegiemum Sat 22-Aug-09 14:53:07

The first time I had one in pg I ignored it all weekend and it travelled up my ureter to my kidney, I got pyelonephritis (kidney infection), was in hospital on a drip and IV antibiotics and then had several weeks of passing tiny kidney stones (a mercifully very rare complication.

Go to A&E or call NHS 24/Direct. You need seen!!

alibobins Sat 22-Aug-09 15:07:43

Got an appointment with out of hours at 4.30
Thanks

weegiemum Sat 22-Aug-09 15:08:27

Glad to hear it alibobins.

Hope you can get some treatment and feel better soon!

alibobins Sat 22-Aug-09 17:22:24

Got some antibiotics and got to see midwife monday.

LynetteScavo Sat 22-Aug-09 18:16:02

Excellent. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now