Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bad headaches in early pregnancy

(11 Posts)
nickyb86 Fri 21-Aug-09 17:57:31

Ive 13weeks and for weeks ive been gettin headaches, but this last week ive had bad ones everyday!

Is this normal for early pregnancy?

suwoo Fri 21-Aug-09 17:58:12

Boy wink

elmofan Fri 21-Aug-09 18:07:39

hi , it might be due to high blood pressure , make an appointment with your gp & get it checked out , good luck

gypsymoon Fri 21-Aug-09 18:12:51

I got horrid headaches with DD1. Try rubbing lavender oil into your temples....

I believe it's normal you may need to drink more water - easy to get dehydrated during pregnancy, but check it out if you're concerned smile

grin Fri 21-Aug-09 19:48:01

Hi, I'm pg with number two - no headaches at all last time but some absolute rotters this time. Might be worth getting checked (I'm planning on mentioning to mw at next meeting but mine are not every day) but beyond that I find 4Head really useful and it says its safe in pg. Yes to lots of water and also sleep! Mine def much worse when I'm tired. Hope that helps, let me know if you find anything else which works!

MrsMc82 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:08:29

Ditto Grin - i've had horrible ones for weeks (though this week, 18 it has got better so hoping it lasts). 4head is brill and i find upping my water intakes helped and also been going to bed an hour or so earlier as head are much worse when tired xxx

SIM78 Fri 21-Aug-09 21:41:34

I am 5 weeks pregnant and been suffering with mirgraines every other day with the whole works of symptoms. Never had such bag headaches with my two other pregnancies and boy these are killers. 4head is my best friend and sorry to say does not seem to be working any other help advice would be appreciated.

PreciousCargo Fri 21-Aug-09 21:49:32

Don't want to teach you what you may already know, but dehydration is more common in pregnancy and can lead to bad headaches - try to increase your water intake.

grin Sat 22-Aug-09 13:49:54

SIM78 - firstly am sorry to hear how much you've been suffering, that's horrid. Some other ideas here, but not sure how they'll be for migraines rather than plain headaches: Earl Grey tea is v good for headaches, depending on how you feel about drinking tea in pg. Another one which I do when not pg but did resort to last week when a really bad headache kicked in was to have a small glass of Diet Pepsi. This is odd I know but my little sis suggested to me (in Life Before Pg) as it really works for her. Oddly I have found it does for me too. But it can't be Diet Coke or caffeine free Pepsi for some reason! If you do take paracetamol for them they say that caffeine helps them to work so perhaps coupling the tablets with a cup of tea would help. I think as long as you don't overdo the caffeine as that obv makes headaches worse (and obv the pg rules etc). Make sure you eat little and often - if morning sickness is an issue then eat whatever you can whenever you can. And the water too, drink even more than you think you need to perhaps. Hope that helps.

TheDMHatesMe Sat 22-Aug-09 14:02:17

SIM78: I had really terrible migraines in pregnancy. Going to a cranial osteopath was the only thing that helped.

LauraI1978 Sat 22-Aug-09 21:20:15

Hi. The caffeine trick worked for me too. A small cup of strong coffee and 2 paracetamols taken just as the headache is about to set in worked every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now