Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sore throat / acid reflux

(3 Posts)
lucky1979 Fri 21-Aug-09 17:34:31

I'm 28 weeks pregnant, and on and off throughout the pregnancy I've had acid reflux. In the last month it's got really bad and I have a permanantly sore throat, it feels really raw and hurts to swallow, which I assume is caused by the stomach acid hurting my throat.

I'm going to ask my midwife at the appointment next week but just wondered if anyone else had had this and had any good remedies for it? I've been trying tonic water as the quinine is meant to be a stomach settler but it's not massively effective. Any ideas?

Pippasmum01 Sat 05-Sep-09 21:34:51

Hi there. What did your midwife say? I'm 26 weeks pregnant and have had the same as you by the sounds of it. For about the last month I've had what I think must be heartburn at various times of the day, but it does come and go. However, what is most worrying to me is throughout the day a sore feeling right at the top of my osophagus, not specifically related to the heartburn. I also wondered if it was stomach acid that had burnt that far up, but have found nothing specific about this problem on the internet, it just mentions "heartburn" which is further down, so I was beginning to get rather worried.

lucky1979 Sat 05-Sep-09 23:18:33

That's exactly what it is apparently, stomach acids burning your throat

Midwife said Gaviscon is absolutely fine, so I've been taking that a lot, which helps. Go with the liquid if you can, the tablets are more convenient but don't have the same throat soothing properties.

Miserable isn't it! Hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now