Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do you tell DC you are pregnant and how do you explain how baby got there?!!

(15 Posts)
whatsthetimemrwolf Fri 21-Aug-09 13:21:02

I'm 15 weeks pregnant, have had dating scan and want to tell DC aged 5.9 and 4.3. I have told some close relatives who have slightly older children so I'm concerned that my DC could hear it on the grapevine. Also, I'm starting to show and think people may start asking me soon.

Before this pregnancy I had a MMC so am now a bit cautious about things going wrong. At what stage do you think its safe to assume the pregnancy will be successful/safe to tell DC?

Also, I'm sure they wil ask how the baby got into my tummy and I want to be prepared with an answer, but I'm not too sure what I should tell them!! Any advice greatfully received.

Morloth Fri 21-Aug-09 13:28:18

We have just told DS (5) that I am pregnant (just under 10 weeks), he caught us looking at an US and I couldn't help myself.

DS has a basic idea of how babies are made. He knows that the Daddy's willy puts some special "stuff" in the Mummy that "switches" the egg on. Has also watched The Human Body, that BBC thing from a while ago so has a fair idea of the "mechanics".

TBH, he took all of this in his stride - we tried to use easy language for him.

tigger32 Fri 21-Aug-09 13:34:29

Congratulations!

I would say that at 15 weeks and as you've had a scan it is safe to tell your dc. It is much better they hear it from you than from another child or well wishing friend/relative.
My ds1 was 5.5 and ds2 2.5 when we told them about this pregnancy, ds1 asked lots of questions about how it got there etc and we just answered him honestly but in child terms, ie mummy has an egg and daddy a seed etc. We gave just enough information without saying too much so not to confuse, they can always ask more but you can't take something already said back!
There are quite a few good books about, you can borrow from the library, a good one that made ds1 laugh was Mummy laid an egg.
Good luck

BarbieLovesKen Fri 21-Aug-09 13:40:35

Oh God, reading other posts I'm a terrible, deceitful, lying mother!!! blush

Our dd is 3.10 and kept asking how the baby got there - she wanted to know why I ate my baby - thats how she said it must have got in my belly - through my mouth like food.. grin

I felt she was too young to be honest to but in hindsight I was probably wrong - I just told her that magic happens when a mammy and daddy love eachother very much, that daddy put a seed in mammy's bellybutton and instead of a flower growing a beautiful little baby like her is growing in there.

BarbieLovesKen Fri 21-Aug-09 13:43:27

and sorry - to answer your question!

I understand how you feel you need to be cautious - I had a MMC in February too but I think if you've had your scan, are over the 3 months and all is well its safe to assume that the pregnancy will progress successfully.

We told dd the day we had are scan at 13 weeks, when we knew all was well.

I was lucky in the sense that I didnt have to explain pregnancy to her as my cousin had baby in June so she understood that the baby was in the belly, came out and the process, iykwim..

SoupDragon Fri 21-Aug-09 13:45:34

DSs were 4.5 and 6.5 and never once asked how BabyDragon got in my tummy. They were interested in how she came out though.

alana39 Fri 21-Aug-09 13:48:45

We told DSs after dating scan (after MMC as well) and despite being inquisitive 6 and nearly 5 year olds they didn't even ask how.

If asked I have been ready to tell them exactly what happends as Morloth said, but in simple terms - what I haven't sorted out in my head is exactly how to do this as I know how these things sound second hand when they start discussing it at school grin

whatsthetimemrwolf Fri 21-Aug-09 14:04:35

Thanks for the posts everyone, I feel reassured enough to tell them now.

Right so the general concensus is honest but simple. Can

LOL's at eating the baby BarbieLove Ken!

I've just reserved Mummylaid an egg at the library - thanks Tigger.

I guess you can never predict what DC will say/how they will react, although I hadn't thought of the school playground talk blush!!

LittleCheese Fri 21-Aug-09 15:15:01

we told dd 2.7 that dadyy put the baby in mummys tummy to grow and she is now telling everyone "when i was a tiny baby daddy put me in mummy's tummy with bubble" (bubble is how she refers to the new baby) its really cute to listen to her

GracieGirl Sat 22-Aug-09 10:41:29

I got asked by my friends 3 year old (his mum is 28 weeks and I'm 16 weeks) how does the baby come out?? I was really stuck for ideas! blush

whatsthetimemrwolf Mon 24-Aug-09 17:01:16

We did tell DC at the weekend and they were literally jumping for joy! There was no question about how the baby got there.

I did read Mummy laid an egg to them (felt a bit nervous beforehand pre-empting the questions about the pictures of how mummy's and daddy's fit together) but they semed to be too excited about the baby to be interested in how it was made. Thanks for your posts everyone.

Poledra Mon 24-Aug-09 17:05:52

Glad it went well for you - another book which my (then 4-yo) DD1 liked when I was pg with DD2 was the Usborne FlipFlap Body book, which has a section on babies and how they grow inside their mothers. She also loved the book you get from the mw, where she could see the pictures of what the baby looked like now - sometimes I think she took more interest in DD3's development pre-birth than DH and I did...... grin

BarbieLovesKen Mon 24-Aug-09 17:05:58

Am so delighted to hear that whatsthetimemrwolf!! best of luck with everything!!!

gingerbunny Mon 24-Aug-09 17:16:59

we told our ds (3)after our first scan as we knewn he would hear other people talking and pick up on it, we took him with us to our second scan, which he loved.
we bought a book called, 'there's a house inside my mummy', which is lovely and he still loves it now. your library should have some books that you can borrow too.

funtimewincies Mon 24-Aug-09 19:13:49

Ds is quite a bit younger (2.9) so we've only had to tell him that there is a baby growing in my tummy and he's not asked how it got there. He talks to it through my belly-button so I presume that he thinks that this is the entry/exit spot grin.

He also has one growing apparently, which needs feeding cakes and chocolate just like mummy's blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now