Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Had first GP visit and am now very confused

(14 Posts)
PeasPlease Fri 21-Aug-09 10:21:14

I'm about 8 weeks pg with unexpected DC2. We only found out on saturday so went to inform my GP as this is what I had to do 3 years ago when we lived in England (we are now in North Wales).

GP told me not to 'get into the system' too early and just phone the midwife in 4 weeks time.

At the time I thought it sounded quite sensible but when I got home I remembered that in England the GP booked me in straight away for a nuchal translucency scan at 12 weeks and I realised that if I am not supposed to be 'getting into the system' until I am 12 weeks pregnant then I will be pushing the time limits for this test. Does this mean that such a test might not be offered here?

I feel a bit silly for not remembering all this when I was in with the GP and I'm not sure who/where to contact now. I certainly don't want to leave it too late for the test.

Anyone know what's going on?

jan1976 Fri 21-Aug-09 10:25:54

im in north wales and i have never had a nuchal fold test i dont think they do it here
i saw doc when i was 8 weeks he told me to make mw appt,so when i phoned mw she said i need to see her pretty soon so she can do bloods and arrange the dating scan
phone the docs and ask when mw is in so u can speak to her direct

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Fri 21-Aug-09 10:25:55

I would ring the midwife, she's the best person to
advice.

Sheeta Fri 21-Aug-09 10:27:18

Just make an appointment with your MW

and congratulations!

PeasPlease Fri 21-Aug-09 10:29:03

Thanks all, jan1976 do you live in North West Wales?

LilRedWG Fri 21-Aug-09 10:33:44

Call the midwife - she'll be far more sensible than your GP.

And CONGRATULATIONS!

jan1976 Fri 21-Aug-09 10:35:29

i live in deganwy in between conwy and llandudno where r u?

PeasPlease Fri 21-Aug-09 10:38:56

Ooh, Deganwy is lovely, we are in Llanfairfechan. I presume then that as we are in the same county that nuchal scanning will not be offered to me either. Crazy.

jan1976 Fri 21-Aug-09 11:12:59

i use to live in pen down the road from Llanfairfechan
its nice where u are too
im pregnant again now im 10 weeks are u going to ysybty gwynedd for the birth?
my 1st 2 kids i had there but my last 3 i went to glan clwyd,i prefer it there as i know the midwifes there
its very welsh spoken in bangor hospice

LauraI1978 Fri 21-Aug-09 13:12:48

Hello and congratulations. I live in Cardiff and when I asked my midwife about the nuchal translucency scan I was told it is not routinely offered on the NHS in Wales. There are, however, private options available, but they do cost quite a bit. Babybond is one of them, but the scan was around £150 six months ago.

PeasPlease Sat 22-Aug-09 09:45:21

I don't know where I will have the baby, Glan Clwyd is prob a bit far from us but I know what you mean about Bangor being quite Welsh, maybe I could take my daughter to translate

LauraI1978 I've found a place in St Asaph that does nuchal translucency scans. It's funny that I probably wouldn't care so much about having one if I hadn't have had one last time.

What do they do to test for Down's Syndrome if nuchal scanning isn't done do you know?

mejon Sat 22-Aug-09 10:09:14

I had DD in Cardiff in 2006 and only the blood test was offered to me then (is it called the triple test?). It is done at around 16 weeks iirc.

Congratulations by the way smile. I second getting in touch with the MW

mejon Sat 22-Aug-09 10:10:33

I had DD in Cardiff in 2006 and only the blood test was offered to me then (is it called the triple test?). It is done at around 16 weeks iirc.

Congratulations by the way smile. I second getting in touch with the MW. I think I had my booking in at around 8 weeks and the dating scans etc. were arranged then.

PeasPlease Sat 22-Aug-09 10:27:29

Thank you everyone. I must say I find it totally bizarre that anti-natal screening can be so different depending on where you live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now