Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swine Flu Jab

(3 Posts)
Flowerface Thu 20-Aug-09 18:40:13

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Swine Flu jab for pregnant women? I gather we're going to be offered it as a matter of priority once it's available. I am suspicious - it's been rushed out so quickly that I worry that the effects on the unborn baby haven't been fully looked in to. On the other hand, it would be pretty stupid to refuse it and then come down with swine flu with potentially serious consequences for the baby's health, not to mention our own...

Was wondering whether other pregnant women (or anyone else, really) had any thoughts on this?

funtimewincies Thu 20-Aug-09 20:06:44

I won't be able to make a decision until more information is released about how it will be offered and managed (e.g. who exactly will be offered it, if it's safe to have close to term, what will happen if you have a reaction, etc.). I'm due in November, so might be too near the end to qualify anyway.

I won't really think about it until more information is available.

generalunrest Thu 20-Aug-09 20:09:18

I don't want to deliberately put the LO at risk by having a jab, but then as much as I don't trust the government, I can't believe they would give a jab to preg women without it being totally safe. I'm not a medical person, so I presume the govt has the best people working on whether it is safe or not, so I'd have to put myself and the LO in their hands and have it.

I saw on another thread about swine flu that they wouldn't give a baby of under a year the jab, but your baby would be covered if it had it while it was in the womb.

They can't tell you whether it's going to mutate or how bad it's going to get, I suppose all anyone can do is see how it's going to pan out. If it starts interfering with the water/leccy/shops, that's the time to really worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now