Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring 44cm at 37wks?

(17 Posts)
bratnav Thu 20-Aug-09 15:48:14

Just got back from mw appt and she has measured me at 44cm. I was planning a home birth which she winced at and she has referred me to the consultant next week.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received.

bratnav Thu 20-Aug-09 16:23:23

Anyone?

alana39 Thu 20-Aug-09 16:31:08

Don't know if this makes any difference, but did she say whether the head had engaged? I know the measurement is expected to be roughly the same as number of weeks, but when I had mine measured this week the midwife said it was big but the had was very high which would have accounted for some of the extra height.

I'm only 29 1/2 weeks so not quite the same I know, but it might explain at least some of the difference if the head is still completely out of the pelvis?

The other thing is that it could be a long baby (my first 2 measured big before they were born, but although they were a bit heavier than average they were much longer, which again might account for extra fundal height. If it's length not width it doesn't mean they'll be harder to get out grin

Hopefully someone will come along with more helpful comments soon.

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Thu 20-Aug-09 16:36:52

I had the same measurements as you at 37 weeks. It was due to polyhydraminous. I went into spontanious labour at 38 weeks and all was well.

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 20-Aug-09 16:45:45

Not esp helpful but I was the same at 37weeks - they scanned looking for big baby or polyhydramnios and found baby was breech. With hindsight I am so glad this was discovered before I went into labour even if it meant an elective section.

reikizen Thu 20-Aug-09 16:52:30

I would expect a cm or two out but that does seem excessive. Is it your first baby? If not, did you measure big with other pregs? Are you diabetic? I would suspect polyhydramnious in which case the concerns would be an unstable lie (i.e baby can change position too easily into a breech or transverse position) or risk of cord prolapse when your waters break. If you are found to have polyhydramnious they will not be comfortable with homebirth as both of those situations are pretty serious (corn prolapse being an obstetric emergency and needing immediate delivery to avoid fetal compromise or death).
If baby is suspected to be macrosomic (i.e very large!) the concern for a home birth would be shoulder dystocia where the shoulders do not deliver. Again, an obstetric emergency with serious implications for baby. Having said that, if your pelvis is roomy enough baby may be born no problem.
Being unengaged would not explain such a discrepancy but user error should also be considered.
I would see what the consultant says, they will prob feel your bump, measure again and scan you. Good luck!

JRocks Thu 20-Aug-09 16:53:17

I've had a growth scan today as am 35 weeks tomorrow but measuring 38. The baby is indeed large, and I also have excess fluid, so now on monday I shall be having glucose tolerance tests to check whether or not I have gestational diabetes.

You have my sympathies, I'm bloody terrified that this child will get stuck

reikizen Thu 20-Aug-09 16:56:52

Bear in mind that a 7lb baby can get stuck if the pelvis is too small, and I have delivered 10 pounders that flew out no problem. It is a question of fit! It must be a very worrying time for you, but scans are very bad at predicting fetal size and if you do have gestational diabetes it is good to know that so they can plan properly for delivery and postnatally. smile

bratnav Thu 20-Aug-09 16:57:49

The baby isn't engaged yet which would account for some of it I think.

What is Polyhymnia?

bratnav Thu 20-Aug-09 17:02:03

Already had a gtt which was normal.

This is dc3, dc1 was 4.48kg and dc2 was 3.52kg.

reikizen Thu 20-Aug-09 17:22:03

Sorry, polyhydramnious is excessive water (or liquor) around the baby. So do you feel bigger this time? It seems you have delivered large babies no problem before so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

bratnav Thu 20-Aug-09 21:32:51

Sorry, hAd to go out.

I am a bit bigger than with dc1 but not massively, so if I have had a big baby before it's not such a worry?

reikizen Fri 21-Aug-09 12:04:49

Not in terms of the size of your pelvis and a possible difficult delivery, but the problems associated with polyhydramnious would still stand. It may well all be as simple as the mw measuring incorrectly so make sure you ask someone to check it again (a couple of times to be sure) with the tape measure face down from your pubic bone to the top of your bump (the fundus)

bratnav Tue 25-Aug-09 19:54:20

OK an update

Went to see consultant at the hospital and was scanned. I am 38+4 and the baby is estimated at 9lb 8oz today, with 11cm of fluid. I am off for another GTT tomorrow at the GP. If it is positive I will be brought in to be induced within the week. If it is negative I will be left to go into labour as and when. The registrar that I saw said that a HB is now not advisable sad

Any thoughts please? Can I really not have a HB or is the doc being over-cautious?

bratnav Tue 25-Aug-09 23:28:54

bump

ErikaMaye Wed 26-Aug-09 00:57:47

Sorry to hear that If the registrar has advised against a home birth, I'd take their advice. Know its not what you wanted, but its better to trust their judgement.

Ang2905 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:51:09

This is my first pregnancy and I am measuring really big, I'm now 31 weeks but at 28 weeks when I went for a 3d scan it showed babys weight as 3lb 9ounces. I have a midwife appt on Friday but I'm just a bit concerned as I am 5ft 2 and already feeling a lot of pain in my pelvis.
Doesn't help that everyone looks shocked when you say nope have such and such weeks left and they say I thought you only had a couple weeks left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now