Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2 previous c-sections, will I have to one this time round?

(10 Posts)
whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 20-Aug-09 10:31:12

I have had 2 previous c-sections,(first emergency, 2nd elective) 18 months apart. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and this will definitely be my last so would ideally like to try a natural birth. By the time this baby is due it would have been 4 years 8 months since my last c-section.

Will I have the option of a natural delivery or will I have to have another c-section? I'm due to see my consultant at 20 weeks so should find out for sure then but wondered if anyone could tell me what the likelihood is beforehand. TIA

youmaynotlikethis Thu 20-Aug-09 10:32:40

hi there yes you will 100% have to have a 3rd csection as they cannot let you try a vbac due to the risks i have had 3 and realy wanted a vbac but was told no way

SoupDragon Thu 20-Aug-09 10:32:46

I guess it depends on the reason for the first cs (assuming the 2nd was just because you'd had one already). A friend had a VBA2C so it's not impossible - like you one was emergency, the second elective..

whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 20-Aug-09 11:21:51

The emergency c-section was because of an undiagnosed footling breech. 2nd time round I was just too scared to try vbac blush.

5inthebed Thu 20-Aug-09 11:25:16

I had an emergency one first time around, elective the 2nd as I was petrified of having another emergency one, and third time I would have loved t hve tried to have a natural delivery, but I was told it was unsafe and more of a risk than another section sad

LuluMaman Thu 20-Aug-09 11:28:10

you do not have to 100 % have to have a section at all

there are several MNers who;ve had a VBAC after 2 + c.sections

it cna be harder to get the hspital to support you, but if you are making an informed decision, bearing in mind the risks and the benefits of VBA2C, then it is your choice to make

whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 20-Aug-09 11:37:30

I thought that would probably be the case sad.

Like you 5inthebed, 2nd time round I was also terrified of trying for a natural and ending up having another emergency. However, knowing this was going to be my last chance I hoped to give natural a try. I guess there are a lot of positives to a planned c-section though.

whatsthetimemrwolf Thu 20-Aug-09 11:39:06

Oh sorry LuLu - started typing before I saw your post...maybe there is hope then.

LuluMaman Thu 20-Aug-09 11:45:18

there is always a choice

you can be advised what to do, and you can decline or accept any or all of teh advice offered

AIMS.org.uk is always good to help with what your rights in pregnancy and birth

VBA2C might not be that common, but they do happen

SoupDragon Thu 20-Aug-09 13:20:07

My friend said her VBA2C was wonderful. She doesn't regres the previous CS at all but to finally manage a VB was what she wanted and got. IIRC, they weren't keen but she'd done her research, had a very clear plan of action and also had the midwives on her side on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now