Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extreme tiredness, short of breath and palpatations at 17 week any ideas?

(10 Posts)
mummytopebs Wed 19-Aug-09 09:37:45

I have been extremely tired for around 4 weeks and over the last week have had palpatations and short of breath, even walking up the stairs or reading dd a story. Any ideas? I am 17 weeks.
Have had to phone in sick today because i am so tired

barbie1 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:42:57

Hello, im 14 weeks and experiencing the same as you. I have had test done because the palpatations were frightening me! I have slighly low blood pressure hense my body working harder than normal, resulting in the palpatations etc. Was told it was all perfectly normal and rest when needed, and to aviod excercise and such like for a few weeks.

Maybe you could get your blood pressure checked too? i would worry though im sure its fine, hope you feel better soon

JodieO Wed 19-Aug-09 09:43:25

Have you had your iron levels checked? Sounds like it could be anaemia to me.

spidermam Wed 19-Aug-09 09:43:37

I seem to get short of breath and palpatations when I'm pregnant too. I'm 18wks at the moment , on my 3rd pregnancy. I was wondering if it might be anemia or if its just normal for pregnancy?
I've recently had some bloods done so am interested to see the results.
If you're worried though speak to your midwife or GP.

barbie1 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:43:45

whoops...of course i meant wouldnt worry!

mummytopebs Wed 19-Aug-09 09:48:28

I have got a doctors appointment at 10.30 so will let you know what they say

mumsiebumsie Wed 19-Aug-09 09:49:08

The symptoms you're describing are what many pregnant woman experience. You have far more blood in your system and your body needs to work far harder to circulate it effectively - leading to fatigue, a quickening heart rate, and shortness of breath. I had it all the time up to about 14 weeks although it tailed off after that. I'm 26 weeks now and do on occasion still get it - I just walked about 20 yards yesterday and felt exhausted and my heart was pumping. Mentioned it to my midwife and she wasn't concerned at all - have had my blood presure taken and it's spot on.

But it may be worth you uping your iron - maybe consider taking some Spatone (liquid iron you add to fruit juice) as it may be that you're slightly depleted.

So in short - personally I don't think you're describing anything unusual however (and here comes the cliche!) if concerned call your midwife!

Take care.

barbie1 Wed 19-Aug-09 12:43:59

how did the docs go????

Jennylee Wed 19-Aug-09 12:47:25

it sounds exactly like anaemia

mummytopebs Wed 19-Aug-09 12:50:14

Doctor thinks it is anaemia and has done a blood tests, will get the results on Friday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now