Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

so how did you tell your employers you were pregnant? I just walked in and burst into tears and blurted out the news

(9 Posts)
oranges Wed 19-Aug-09 09:27:40

I had no intention of mentioning anything yet - I'm only ten weeks - but had been struggling so much with tiredness and nausea, I just blurted it out while sobbbing to a very startled manager. blush Was told very kindly to work from home for the day if i wanted, but I am now mortified and embarrased. help.

KatyS36 Wed 19-Aug-09 10:12:44

Poor you, was that this morning?

These things happen, now you've got to deal with it. Sounds like he was very nice and supportive about it?

How about accepting the offer, work at home and eat lots of chocolate, and go in fresh (or fresher!) tomorrow morning?

As an employee it's a long way from the worst thing you can do. The less you dwell on it the less they will to.

Good luck

merryberry Wed 19-Aug-09 10:12:49

Aw bless you! Head up, chin out, thank them for their kindness yesterday as it was an emotional moment for you telling them because <insert truthful statement about how you aim to be the bestest ever prego employee and add your mothering skills to your wonderful working skills to enhance their glorious work enviroment in the fullness of time>

I walked in to mine wiht ds1 green and shaky with MS, also told them through sobs I was pg and feeling rotten but could work but I needed more control over lobbing myself in and out of the loos as needed, and would not be as instantly available to my staff until things settled down. So we changed a few working practices, and all was just as well with the world Good luck

oranges Wed 19-Aug-09 10:18:05

It was a woman, and she was lovely about it. And yes, this morning.
I can work too, but really need more flexibility over hours- we are on rotas and shifts, which mean I can often work really late then be expected to come in early the next day, which finishes me off.
Coming home's been a godsend - my brain's unblocked as I can walk around when I need to _ and I can concentrate properly without panicking about making it to the loo in time to throw up.

KatyS36 Wed 19-Aug-09 10:26:51

Glad you're feeling better, and it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

I've found being open, sensible and positive to work wonders if you are working with good people. If you can offer sensible solutions they are often willing to accept them, or at least discuss.

I can't walk due to SPD, but I'm now allowed to work from home and the few meetings I do have I either phone into or they have been rearranged to my local office.

Miia Sat 22-Aug-09 09:30:56

Told my boss in an email and heard him laugh out of pleasure - he has four kids himself and loves kids. He was very happy and offered lots of baby stuff for us and got his wife to give me tips re: nausea, clothes etc.

And otherwise people have been great understanding why I am sometimes late or work from home more, my work is fairly casual re: these things.

pippa251 Sat 22-Aug-09 10:31:55

i am armed for my job- my boss was late in so i have to be armed with my gun at the start of my shift- so i walked into his office and blurted it out- needless to say they took the gun off me sharpish as your not allowed to be armed and preg but he was v nice about it! However when people saw me go back in the armoury to disarm they just assumed i was either preg or had had a mental breakdown so the secrate did not say for long!

anyway i don't car now cause my 5 week old DD smiled this week for the first time

Trikken Sat 22-Aug-09 10:42:56

when pregnant with ds both dh and I went into the office and told our boss together, that was a bit nerve-wracking but fine. with this one dh told work as i only work part-time and he cant hold any news in when really excited, so told his colleagues who are my managers as soon as we found out we were having another baby. I didnt mind at all.

waitingforbedtime Sat 22-Aug-09 10:48:28

I did similar unfortunately. I had to tell my boss because I was bleeding and burst into floods of tears in her office!! (All was fine btw)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now