Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Fell off horse & only 6 weeks

(18 Posts)
allibaba Wed 19-Aug-09 09:24:03

Am first timer at this and being PG and am panicking big time. Fell off my horse last night , jumping , which I shouldn't have been doing and landed on the jump, sitting on it to be exact.

Nothing has happened but am really worried and looking for some reassuarance of anyone hitting themselves on something when early on and still being ok?!! My boobs don't feel as sore and I havn't felt sick since last night but is this me reading to much in to it?!

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:29:59

I think you are reading too much into it.

Your baby is still very tiny, and is very protected. smile

I'm sure your aby is fine.

gizmo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:31:44

Don't worry, unless you've done yourself a severe damage I doubt your fetus will have a problem - it's only a few millimeters long, very light, and extremely well cushioned.

I've fallen off my bike a number of times when pregnant (my sense of balance seems to be the first thing to go) - the last time when 30 weeks shock and have learnt:

1) that it's really hard to damage a baby
2) there's nothing like a heavily pregnant woman rolling around in the road under a bent bicycle to attract a large and appreciative crowd.

belgo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:33:24

It's unlikely that you've done any damage, but contact your GP or midwife just to make sure.

LynetteScavo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:36:51

belgo - how would the GP or midwife check if the baby was OK?

alibaba - are you OK? Do you need to be checked by the GP?

belgo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:41:28

I don't know what a GP or midwife would do, which is why I suggests she speaks to them.

Maybe they'd do nothing, maybe a scan.

allibaba Wed 19-Aug-09 10:08:19

Thanks all for this. I feel ok, a little bit odd but then what isn't odd anymore - I only found out I was PG last week and since then every twitch or pain (which I think may be trapped wind) makes me think OMG somethings wrong.

I am a natural worrier and my instructor said try not to think about whatever happens happens but I keep thinking I don't feel as sick as I did and my boobs aren't as sore. I do feel a bit crampy. Maybe I should see the GP again.

skihorse Wed 19-Aug-09 10:16:27

alibaba OK, deep breath and calm down. You will be fine. I'm a skiier and a rider so I spoke to a sports doctor about this. He told me that because the baby is so very well protected in the pelvic region in the first 12 weeks only a puncture/rupture type wound (e.g., a well-aimed javelin!) will dislodge it.

Babies lost in the first 12 weeks are generally due to chromosomal abnormalities and not any sport you might choose to partake in.

There are a few threads on the "Tack Room" section about riding in pregnancy if you wish to read more.

allibaba Wed 19-Aug-09 10:37:02

Skihorse thank you! Makes me feel a lot better. I'm such a newby I don't understand anything and I didn't know there was a "tack room" either!

Am going to give up riding for a bit I think as my balance is shot to buggery, last night was first time I've fallen off in 10 years. Thanks for the advice smile

skihorse Wed 19-Aug-09 11:01:12

alibaba yes, it's hidden under the "clubs" section.

I had a very early mc in June and I had been riding but when I had the mc it didn't even cross my mind that it was the cause.

I've heard other women say that it was the balance issue which stopped them riding/skiing rather than fear itself. You can still cuddle & groom of course.

But I do understand the worrying - having had the early-mc I'm never, ever, ever going to relax during my pg.

I think (fingers crossed) that I've caught this month and I skiied and rode on saturday - fell off a rail in the terrain park but not bothered about it at all.

ErikaMaye Wed 19-Aug-09 11:06:29

I slid down a banaster roaring drunk at five weeks and landed in a crumbled heap at the bottom - found out I was pregnant the week after.

Am now 27+2 with a little boy

I'm a worrier too, but as I keep being told, try to chill!

Southwestwhippet Wed 19-Aug-09 12:02:31

I am a rider too and although I was told to 'avoid falling off' (because normally, I seek out these exciting opportunities hmm) I have also been told that baby is incredibly well protected, especially in early stages and that it is somewhat unlikely that even falling off a horse could harm the baby.

That said, it has, and does, happen so I am being extra careful. I am a keen jumper too - I love XC, love hunting, love SJ etc but I've given all that up for pregnancy and spend more time schooling. Not as exciting but I figure my horse can only benefit from it.

Would echo the balance issue, I'm only 18 weeks but have already started to notice that when my pony shoots forward I am getting left behind which never normally happens. Those core muscles are not where they used to be I'm sure grin

I hope you feel all right, falling off is never fun.

skihorse Wed 19-Aug-09 12:47:53

erikamaye grin

whippet "avoid falling off" ? Yes, well at my age I don't bounce the same way I did when I was 10 and there's nobody to pick me up, put me in the car and tuck me up in bed so I'm really bloody careful about when I choose to make a surprise dismount.

horseymum Wed 19-Aug-09 14:25:09

I think you subconsciously become more anxious when you are pregnant which does not make jumping a good idea, as you won't 'commit' to the jump properly. This makes it harder for the horse so you are more likely to make mistakes. I have found that i didn't actually want to jump when pregnant although i did before i knew I was and once when i forgot!!
i think that if the baby is wanting to stay that you will not have done any harm - i had a car crash when 37 weeks pregnant and baby was fine!- the other driver was very freaked out though!

Southwestwhippet Wed 19-Aug-09 14:35:23

skihorse Yes this was pretty much my reaction to that gem of advice.

They said the same when I fractured my spine. I was like "what do you think I DO when I am riding, throw myself gaily onto the ground at every available opportunity?"

I love healthcare professionals wink

sykes Wed 19-Aug-09 14:41:18

I rode in both pregnancies and also fell off jumping at 10 weeks. I stopped jumping after that but carried on schooling. My consultant was a rider and was very reassuring about it. I had two miscarriages a few years earlier and they were NOTHING to do with riding. Good luck and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. My instructor told me that my position on the flat had never been better than when I was very heavily pregnant - bizarre.

Nocoffeenoworkee Wed 19-Aug-09 16:13:36

Alibaba - I was 6 weeks last week and fell off my bike. After a horrid night of imagining pains and frantically checking for bleeding (there was none), I spoke to my doctor who told me all the reassuring things that every other wise lady has reiterated below. What I thought were sinister pains were in fact wrneched stomach muscles. I relaxed as soon as I'd spoken to my doctor and I'd advise you do the same to put your mind at rest. Do watch out for bleeding however, that would be a good reason to speed up any planned call to doctor. I sincerely hope you're okay - stop worrying!

I am no longer riding my bike, have decided to jog now. Having never jogged before I am now worrying that it's the wrong thing to do in early pregnancy! This worrying will never stop!

PS- ski - I blimmin well hope you are!!!!

ErikaMaye Wed 19-Aug-09 17:24:24

Skihorse - the worst bit? <whispers> I don't remember anything execpt DP trying to pick me up off the floor... I only know the details of The Sliding (as DP is so kind to put it...) because my arse wonderful partner reminds me at least twice as week. blush

Whippet hmm Well, you know, obviously these people ARE the professionals... So just avoid falling off!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now