Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I can hear my baby's heartbeat in my ear when lying down!?

(13 Posts)
laydeebyrd Tue 18-Aug-09 19:21:57

The night before last i was trying to get to sleep but could hear a superfast heartbeat Sound in my ear which was really annoying. I wear ear plugs and can often hear my own heart beat, but this was so much faster. I was a bit freaked out and checked my pulse which was fine. I took my ear plugs out and changed position and it went away and I didn't think too much more about it until last night when it happened again. I then realised it must be my baby's heart beat. I'm 11 weeks. Has anyone else had this?

ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Tue 18-Aug-09 19:40:31

Are you sure it's not your own pulse wooshing in your ears?

Fruitysunshine Tue 18-Aug-09 19:41:35

Sounds like its your own pulse.........I get them sometimes.

mogend77 Tue 18-Aug-09 19:43:06

Last pregnancy I was driven mad by my own pulse in my ears whenever I lay down. I haven't had it this time. But it was definitely my own - a bit faster than usual. but then it is faster during pregnancy.

laydeebyrd Tue 18-Aug-09 19:47:06

It definitely wasn't my own heart beat as I could hear that as well - and the beats were as fast as a mouse. It's so odd. I'm trying to think of what else it could be. I've got my scan next week - do you hear the heart beat then? I hope so as then I can hear if it's the same rate.

ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Tue 18-Aug-09 19:49:07

I don't think there is any possible way to hear your baby's heart beat in your own ears.

ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Tue 18-Aug-09 19:50:05

It just the blood rushing through your ears and around that area. I get it in bed and if I push my ears shut I can hear it then too.

laydeebyrd Tue 18-Aug-09 19:58:57

I've tried to find something online about it, and it's true that I can't find anything. I'm convinced it was though as it was a steady heart beat sound going about 3 times faster than mine.

AmazingBouncingFerret Tue 18-Aug-09 20:04:59

I havent had it whilst pregnant, but I have experienced the fast whooshing noise in my ears when lying down before, its annoying when trying to get to sleep!
Really dont think its possible that its the babies heartbeat.

theyoungvisiter Tue 18-Aug-09 20:06:45

Sorry but I don't believe there is any way you could hear your baby's heartbeat in your ears - well, unless your womb is on your head. Or your ears were in your stomach. grin

Seriously, even an experienced MW with a v sensitive doppler pointed at the right end of the body would be unlikely to find an audible heartbeat at 11 weeks.

mogend77 Tue 18-Aug-09 20:14:04

Could it be that you are hearing your own pulse but also echoes of it going on in your head hence it seeming to be more beats than your own alone?

crankytwanky Tue 18-Aug-09 20:18:01

Yeah, it sounds like you. It's the blood rushing through all the teeny capillaries and stuff.

laydeebyrd Tue 18-Aug-09 20:18:50

I've just been musing about this more, and I think you must be right. It's your pulse rather than heart beat you hear in your ears isn't it and I can't hear my stomach gurgling for instance in my ears at night - so it doesn't make sense that I can hear the baby's heart beat. Shame as now it's just an annoying noise again! I quite liked the idea of being able to check in him or her at night before going to sleep. Hope the noise goes away as fast as it arrived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now