Talk

Advanced search

a good book for lookng after a baby?

(18 Posts)
mama2leah Mon 17-Aug-09 15:01:38

are there any good books out there, with hints, tips,advice, common concerns etc...

i was given baby's first yr- what to expect series..but i don't really like it.

thank u

esselle Mon 17-Aug-09 15:05:11

Honestly I think Mumsnet is far more informative than any baby book I have ever seen/read.

makipuppy Mon 17-Aug-09 15:06:06

I really like the Miriam Stoppard new babycare book - it's quite old-fashioned but very practical, geared towards not spending a fortune and I didn't find it patronising.

Lots of people have said to me that it's a good idea to dip into several books as you find your way.

Umlellala Mon 17-Aug-09 15:06:53

I like the Happiest Baby on the Block (v American though).

mama2leah Mon 17-Aug-09 15:07:33

its for a friend, she is moving abroad and wont have internet access, first time mother..no doubt mn is better then any book

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 17-Aug-09 15:16:56

Dr Sears Baby Book is very good, sensible, practical and down to earth

mrswee Mon 17-Aug-09 21:19:54

My friend swears by the 'Rough guide to babies' she has a 6 month old and says it has been invaluble and might have not survived without it! it's quite a good quick reference guide too.

I have just bought myself a copy online but it's not here yet... neither is my baby so although I have had a look at my friend's copy and found the quick reference layout very easy to follow, I can't personally vouch for the advise, but she has a very content baby and has not gone mad yet!!

PinkyRed Mon 17-Aug-09 21:26:50

I had one called something like the Best Friend's guide to babies, or something like that. It was American, so not that useful about healthcare etc, but good otherwise. Quite lighthearted but informative.

The best advice to give though is don't take any childcare books too seriously!

pania Mon 17-Aug-09 21:31:42

Another vote for The Baby Book by Dr William Sears.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 17-Aug-09 21:58:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheProvincialLady Mon 17-Aug-09 22:03:10

Yep, The Baby Book is good.

Umlellala Tue 18-Aug-09 10:23:38

Forgot about Dr Sears. That book was my saviour - bought it when dd was about 3 weeks old... BUT then got a bit annoyed with it (bit cutesy and American) by the time she was 10mths or so. Has everything you asked for though...

pooter Tue 18-Aug-09 10:26:57

Dr Sears every time! i stumbled on it in America by accident and i am so pleased i did.

mogend77 Tue 18-Aug-09 10:33:48

Dr Sears The Baby Book definitely. His style can be annoyingly American but he's terribly good at reassuring that you are normal & helping you to follow your instincts. And "When Your Baby Cries" by Deborah Jackson - someone gave it to me when my daughter was 10 months but I wished I had it when she arrived. So much gentle common sense in such a small, easy to read book.

magnummum Tue 18-Aug-09 20:04:05

I'd second Miriam Stoppard.

bevlin Thu 20-Aug-09 14:21:00

I loved (shoot me down) SOME ASPECTS of GF contented baby book. OK, it is a bit regimental with the routine BUT it had great tips on how important their naps were.
All babies to a certain age, can't remember, probably 6 months, start getting tierd after 2 hours of being awake. That was the handiest bit of information I ever got.
I had quite a few friends who continued to breast or bottle feed their babies every 2 hours because they thought they were hungry. In actual fact a baby can scream like they are being murdered because they are over tired. If your a new mum it is hard to tell what they are screaming for and it's not that unlike the 'im starving' cry!
I found just knowing this bit of info a life saver. He quickly got into a great routine and sleeping pattern. Even now at 2 yrs 3mths he is upstairs in his cot for his 3 hour nap while I do lots of house work and such like, ahem hmm!
There was loads of other tips when things started to worry me or go wrong, id go to my wee bible and 9 times out of 10, the answer was there and whatever was advised, I gave a shot and it worked. He is and was a very contented happy little baby.grin

quirkychick Thu 20-Aug-09 14:44:42

Dr Sears Baby Book and Elizabeth Pantley No Cry Sleep Solution.

Both get you to trust your instincts and help you to read your baby for what they want. Elizabeth Pantley will get you in a flexible routine that suits you and your baby, including naps etc.

ninedragons Thu 20-Aug-09 14:47:18

Kidwrangling by Kaz Cooke is really excellent, if you can get it in the UK (it's Australian).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now