Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bought a maternity support belt second hand. How do I wear it?!!?

(8 Posts)
beatie Fri 27-May-05 12:46:19

This might sound like a silly question but I don't want to damage myself or the baby.

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and get a lot of lower backache after walking for a little while so I decided to buy a support belt. I got one on ebay but it doesn't have a box or any instructions with it.

It's just a long piece of wide elastic with velcro in a few places. Where am I suppsed to position it and how tight should it be?

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 27-May-05 12:47:44

I had one of these. Is it the one with three straps either side of it?

morningpaper Fri 27-May-05 12:49:15

Well definitely UNDER your clothes!

I'd nip in to your local physio department (or make an appointment) and ask them for precise instructions. It's basically worn very low around your hips. I found it bloody uncomfortable and gave it up. (By the way your physio department will lend you these belts free of charge if you are pregnant.)

Gobbledigook Fri 27-May-05 12:50:02

If it's just a big wide belt - put it so that around your back it's in the small of your back level with your waist, but as it comes to your side/hips it slopes down so that by the time it's at your pubic bone it's under your bump.

Hope that makes sense! I found the belt fantastic when pg with ds2 - I was in so much agony I couldn't walk anywhere without crying but it really helped in the later weeks.

beatie Fri 27-May-05 12:53:36

Now you tell me MP If I'd spoken to you earlier I could have saved myself some £££££s.

I thought it looked rather fetching on top of my clothes.

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 27-May-05 13:08:40

Have to say I got mine from the Physio, Beatie.

I wore one strap near the top of my bump and the other 2 under but my Physio did say it varied from woman to woman as not all bumps are exactly the same.

Like MP said go to your GP or your nearist physio dept and see if they will show you.

beatie Fri 27-May-05 13:17:38

We have some friends who are physios so I'll see if we can get in a visit this weekend and get some instruction. Thanks.

morningpaper Fri 27-May-05 21:48:27

Good luck Beatie I hope it makes you feel better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now